Thursday, August 06, 2015

Facebook Endurance Groups=Temptation

I really should STOP joining the Facebook groups for the rides that are happening that I can NOT attend.

It makes me second and third guess myself.

The first ride of the fall season is the Wacky Waco Wide, which I think I've mentioned before.  This is a very technical ride and very rocky and hilly.  I've never been, but not only have I heard this from more experienced riders, I can tell it from the photos.

In my mind, I want so SO badly to rack up my first 100 LD miles before the end of the 2015 ride calendar season.  And I'm worried it won't happen.

I'm limiting myself to 1 ride a month.  I currently have 50 LD miles on the record books. 

Armadillo is a 30 mile LD.  Everything I've seen and read and heard and understand says that one is a very easy ride, nice and sandy.  I've completed 2 other very easy and non-challenging LDs, so I've got no reason to think Strider won't complete there either.  Especially as we're now actually conditioning, and I'm going to be switching out his tack and lightening it up for him.  And I'm better prepared now. 

So, as long as fate doesn't laugh in my face and I can complete, I'm at 80 LD miles. 

In November, two challenges.

Make my 100.

Defeat the trails in Athens.

The trails that took Strider and I in to OT.  I want to do them again.  And I want us to defeat them. 

I am better prepared.  I am more experienced.  Strider is more experienced.  I now KNOW what I'm facing.

I want to conquer them.  Decimate those trails.

Assuming that we don't get deluged with rain again making the trails total slop.  I won't do that again to him.  Those trails were a rutted, foul mess with enough mud to suck your soul from you. 

It'll be November, so certainly not as warm and humid as it was in May.  That will help us.  He'll be getting fuzzy again, which means I need to consider a trace clip for him.  We'll see about that too.  Our conditioning rides will let me know where he's at physically before I go knocking off his coat.

And, since the power of positive thinking means I'll kick those trails this time, I'll break my 100 mile goal.

But, this brings me back full circle.

What if we don't?  I've missed my goal.  I'll have another chance on Thanksgiving weekend in Killeen, but that's violating what I said I was going to do; one ride a month. 

But, I'm in the Wacky Waco Wide FB group, and already getting the itch to give it a try.  And honestly, if I could get Strider up and vetted in without having to spend the night, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  But...finances, promises and the challenge of it are keeping me from doing it.  Or seriously considering it.

And besides, if I miss it at Shuffle in Athens...there's always Old Glory.  ;)

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...