Monday, February 08, 2016

Happiness Is....

My happiness is so many things. 

Kaylee laughing makes me happy.

When Austin gets super excited about something and wants to talk and talk and talk about it.

Watching Pancho when he gets the "rips" (runs like a madman through the house for no apparent reason, but just keeps going...and going...and going some more).

And, of course, my horses.  Being around and DOING horsey things is happiness to me.

Saturday was spent at Holly's place doing the equine body work clinic which was great.  SO much information that we couldn't get it all in.  I now have a great workbook though full of various trigger points, acupressure points and various other things I can do to help my horses. 

It's super nice to have another tool in the toolbox when my horses are just a little "off".  I can't wait to have some downtime to lay hands on them and play with these points.

And Sunday, it was up early-ish, finish loading the car, swing by the store and get some snacks and then bolt to the barn for a day full of riding! 

We got in a little over 10 miles, not necessarily hauling ass, but moving some. 

I (briefly) tried out a Podium saddle on Strider.  I felt perched.  Odd sensation.  Such a shame because it's SUCH a lightweight saddle.  But, no go. 

For the first time out, I just rode my regular Abetta.

Second (brief) ride, I tried out a Bob Marshall treeless. 

It's quite an odd sensation to FEEL your horse moving beneath you.  I could FEEL the muscles of his back beneath my butt as he walked and gaited.  I'm sure I was more tense that ride because all of a sudden I became HYPER aware of my seat, how I was sitting, how I was moving.  Was I applying too much pressure to his back without the bars to spread my weight out?  Is there a max weight limit in a treeless?  Did he like it?  How did he move? 

The first few times we cantered, no bunny buck.  He did toss a few in there though, and I'm reserving judgement on if I want to shift over to a treeless saddle full-time. 

Right now, I'm going to try a shim under the Abetta at the pommel since it DOES seem to press down on his withers once my weight is in the saddle.  Some release of pressure there might help him out.

Currently, he's logged a few miles in the Abetta, never come up back sore, but...if he'd move out better in a treeless, I'll sell the Abetta, or figure out some way to get him a good pad and treeless if he likes that better.

Overall, it was quite a nice ride.  Once my trailer's floor is repaired, I'd like to ride at Granger more often (it's only $5 for a trailer load!) as it's a nice, flat and easy ride to condition. 

You can only ride the same trails at "home" before you get bored out of your gourd.

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...