Friday, July 31, 2015

Endurance Clinic for Beginners

And here I was thinking that there wouldn't be anything for me to do Endurance related in September.

Surprise!

Yesterday in the afternoon on Facebook, TERA (Texas Endurance Riders Association) posted that they were doing a New Rider's Clinic at C Bar Stables in Waco the first weekend of September.

Sign.Me.UP!

I shot off my RSVP, dropped a text message to a friend of mine who joined AERC, but hasn't done a ride yet and wants to go (she's planning on going to Armadillo with me and riding the Intro to see if her horse can do it) to let her know so we could go up there.

I went ahead and splurged for a site with hook up, which means I'll have a fan for the weekend!!  I'm stoked!  That's luxury living for me!  I also won't need to take my water tank either!  And, my Renegades should be here well before then so I can try them out, get them adjusted right and try Strider out out there.  I probably still won't do Wacky Waco due to funds this year, but maybe next year! 

Of course, as I do sometimes, I RSVP'd and didn't tell Joe until last night.  He wasn't upset though.  Grateful that he "gets it".  I told him I'll figure out child care for Kaylee since that'll be at the start of football season and Joe referees football games (well, right now he does the chains, but he's working on being a ref).

I promised I'd keep it to a ride a month.  And I will. 

I'm just super excited.  I know, I've done 3 LDs, but I'm kind of fumbling my way through it, and it will be nice to meet some of the other local endurance riders and network so I'll actually KNOW people when I go to rides.

I had a discussion with a lady who went to her first ride at Spirit of Texas last year and she noticed just how cliqueish everyone is and how they don't really go out of their way to make new riders feel welcome.

It IS something I've noticed at the rides I've gone to.  And it troubles me.  So, I swear, once I've got this figured out a little bit better and I feel a bit more confident myself, I'm going to make it a point to say hello to at least one new "face" I see at every ride.  Ask them about their horse.  How far they're going to be riding.  Let them know if they just want to say hi, to swing by my trailer. 

Because, while I know many people travel with their family or camp with friends, not all of us do.  And I HAVE met some very nice endurance riders, but not all of them are. 

And I know it's about "Ride your ride", but when I'm not in the saddle, and it's at ride meeting/dinner, it costs me NOTHING to say hello.  Yes, I'm already thinking forward about everything I need to get done to be ready to ride my ride, but I should soon enough be in a routine where I can put it on auto-pilot and at least take a moment to make someone feel welcome.  It could very well be the difference in someone joining the sport or leaving the sport!

1 comment:

Liz Stout said...

Even just saying hi and introducing yourself to established folks is great, too. Sometimes we don't necessarily know a new face - it may just be a new-to-us face. If you make one or two acquaintances/friends, the rest just seem to fall together seamlessly!

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...