Thursday, July 23, 2015

Plotting and planning my season...

Yesterday was spent trying to dig out from underneath work that has been piling up at work.  Things that need to be done, but there's no set time frame (per se) for it TO be done.

As such, I spent most of my day at work with my head down, putting out small fires as they popped up while attempting to get some of this stuff out of my office.

I did squeeze out some time to check over my AERC calendar once more, and then I do believe I've accidentally set myself up for an overnight equine camping trip the week prior to an endurance ride. 

By that point though, I should be so close to having Strider prepped and conditioned for the ride that a weekend of "easy" riding shouldn't undermine the foundation I've put on him.

Of course, since I like to get paperwork cleared up and out of the way, I went back to the AERC calendar to print off fliers and get my paperwork mailed in.  Out of 4 rides, just 1 has a flier up.  And I'm in a tizzy to get that sent in ASAP as it looks like there's limited trailer parking.  Now, while I have a small trailer, I do NOT want to park out in the boondocks and have to haul all of my gear to the vet in area.

In December I probably won't need the sun shade, but I'd still need to get set up:
Buckets for Strider to drink out of
Grain/Beet pulp/ELytes for him at our hold(s)
Hay
Chair for me
Snacks for me
Saddle rack to put the saddle on during the hold(s)

Just too much hassel.

I guess before I mail in the paperwork I need to decide if I REALLY want to try my 50 there.  I just dashed off an email to the RM (Ride Manager) to ask about the trailer parking, and when she responds, I'll ask her what I should do.  Pre-register for the 50, but if I need to drop down to the 25, could I do that at registration.

There's just so many factors at play here that I guess I can register for the 50, and if I opt to do the LD, the cost is just $10 less, so I can eat that without too much heartache.

I went ahead and emailed Joe my prospective ride calendar, and after that, it's just a matter of working out childcare for Kaylee while he's working Football games on Friday nights, and I'm off doing rides on Fridays. 

Of course, AERC is starting to post the spring rides.  I really should look at those.....

Racing Stripes in April (I missed it last year, and I'm so sad because I heard it was a great ride!), and Spirit of Texas again, also in April.  That's going to be a hard decision to make!! 

Maybe if there's not a ride I want to do in February, I can swing both in April.  :) 

So, going to look in to perhaps talking Joe in to staying at the Barn and Breakfast up there for Spirit of Texas, vetting in on Friday night, and getting up early on Saturday morning to head over to the trail head and do my ride, then maybe spend Sunday casually riding the grasslands.  :)

Only 2 full months left before ride season starts up again!!  And, if I'm lucky and fate's with us, Strider and I will make 100 LD miles before the end of the 2015 ride season!  And if we're ESPECIALLY fortunate, we'll ride our first 50 and begin the path to Decade Team! 

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...