Thursday, April 12, 2018

Getting Back to It...or "Let's Go Endurancing Again"

So, I'm kind of a bundle of nerves.  Which is ridiculous.

Strider and I are fixing to make the 5 hour drive to Mount Pleasant and the Priefert Ranch to go do Racing Stripes.

Here's the current plan.

Intro on Friday of 15 miles.
LD on Saturday of 25 miles.

There was a lot of thought that went in to this.

The Intro is to earn points for my Green Bean team AND to earn PFHA points towards "Pleasure Long Distance Trail Horse". 

The LD is fairly obvious.  We're not as ready as I'd hoped to be.  I know he can do an LD without a LOT of preparation.  The original plan was the LD on Friday and Intro Saturday....BUT....

One of the ladies I was planning to ride with now can't make it up until Friday.

Two, currently, there is 100% chance of thunderstorms and rain on Friday.  At least it will be in the 70s?

Three, the LD on Friday is 30 miles. 

So, on Friday, I only need to slog through 15 miles in the rain.  And stay on the damn horse.  And not die.

Also, and more importantly, I'm changing up Strider's headgear.  So, the Intro will give me a good opportunity to try it out with only 15 miles instead of 25.  However, he's never really been a fire breathing dragon at the start of a ride, just eager to go.

I am also going to test out my riding rain gear on Friday. 

But, I'm nervous because this is our first ride back since his injury.  I don't quite count the NATRC ride as we were able to keep a slower MPH average.  Yes, it was still 18 miles, but...that was just different.  Not better or worse, but different. 

So, deep breath, and here we go....

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...