Friday, July 24, 2015

Friday; Gateway to the Weekend

Today entails heading to the tack store to take my co-worker who's leasing Socks to look at saddles.

Okay, okay...so I'm going to look.  Apparently they're having a sale on Abetta endurance style saddles for $300.  If they have one to fit my ass, I'll probably stop and think about it for a few days and then go get one.

I've also got a pair of Cavallos on order for me at a fantastic price.

And, on my Facebook feed last night/this morning, a set of black size 1 Renegades showed up, again, for an amazing price.  Emailed the person selling who I know is a Renegade dealer to see if she could look at the photos my farrier took (with measurements), and if she thinks they'll fit, then I'll snap those up too.

Because, at that price point, if they'll fit, and I can get some Renegades, then I'll happily grab them up. 

Of course, if they sell before I can get them, I've still got the Cavallos coming at some point, and I suspect I can make those work for me.  I'm sure they'll take some tweaking to work for endurance, but, if I can make Strider happy to go down the trail in a pair of boots on some rough terrain, then I'll twiddle and tweak!!

I've mentioned to Joe that when the time (sadly) comes to have to replace a horse, my next mount will be one who's already doing endurance.  And, while I know it'd be easy to be competative on an Arabian, I still think I'd prefer an endurance Paso.  But, we shall see.

I just know in my heart, I would love for Kaylee to come ride endurance with me.  That would make me so happy to have the two of us crusing down the trails together.

So, while I was looking over the AERC calendar yesterday, I remembered about Spirit of Texas, and how I'd told Joe after I wrapped that ride up last year that I'd love for him to come with me next year.  There's a barn and breakfast near the trail head, and there's a lake he can fish up there.

So, I emailed him yesterday to remind him about that.  Looked up the rates for the B&B (totally affordable!) and asked him if he might be interested.  And he is!  He actually asked if we could take Socks.  I don't see where that will be a problem.  Only thing is we'll need to probably rent a truck to haul my trailer, borrow a lighter trailer to haul with our truck, or rent a lighter trailer to use with our truck.

I think I can skip hauling water for that ride.  Would just need hay and grain.  Then on Sunday we could go tool around on the trails together.  And I could potentially see some different trails from the endurance ride!!

I'm actually getting excited about this weekend.  I can't wait to start conditioning.  I've got a new, lightweight saddle, my new heartrate monitor, and a plan in mind!  A completely achievable plan, and completely doable!  And it should get us prepared for our fall rides.  Which I can't wait to do!!  I'm ready to go see some new places!

In other news, I'm just 1 month shy of Kaylee's first birthday.  I haven't done much planning for her birthday party.  I'm surprised by how much other parents are doing for their baby's first birthday.  Big chalkboard signs with lots of information about their baby, fancy cakes, themed party, etc.

And I'm just over here going "Uhh..pink cowgirl theme.  I'll buy an inexpensive pool for the kids to play in, and some food.  Good?  Good."

It never ceases to amaze me just how much she's grown in 11 months.  And just how much personality she has.  And how clearly she can make herself understood without words.  She's not a snuggler or a cuddler.  For-get-it.  Don't hold her, just put her down.  Oh, you want to give kisses?  Nope!!  Not gonna have it!  She'll push on your face so you don't give her kisses.  Oh, is that a mirror?  Why yes, I'll check myself out, thank you very much!  She's such a riot.

And in other animal news; Shadow.  There's something wrong with him.  He's been on a thyroid medication for the past month, and so far, I'm seeing NO improvement.

He presented with:
Patchy/flakey/scaley skin
Pot belly
Lethargy
Excessive thirst
Excessive appetite

We did a blood panel on him, and they said it looks like thyroid.  HOWEVER, it could also be Cushings. 

The issue with that is testing him for Cushings is cost prohibitive.  We just simply don't have it.  Or rather, we have it, but, by the time we've spent it all, it's over what we've allotted for animal care.  I should perhaps do a post on that sometime and my thoughts.

So, I'm going to give the thyroid medication another month and hope that his skin clears up.  But, we're a month in now...and I'm seeing NO improvement.  In fact, I fear he's just getting worse. 

Other than that troubling stuff, the other animals are, as always, doing fine.

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...