Friday, January 26, 2018

Where have you been....or "Good, bad and forever good byes"

Sorry for the long absence!!  I partially blame AERC for not having ride results posted yet, and partially....well...life has gotten so freaking busy! 

I have a post in the works regarding River Run...and a post in the works for High Roller (spoiler alert, I went).

However....there's other stuff too...which won't be as time intensive, so I thought, in the interim while I wait for AERC, I'll drop this post.

Good news?
Strider has an appointment on February 3rd to have an ultrasound done on his left hind.  So, I can FINALLY know if he's ready to go back to work, or if he continues to need more time off work to finish the healing process (and perhaps a rough idea of how long it will take).  I've considered hopping up bareback so many times, or saddling up for a walk around the property, but the fact is, the last time I was on him bareback, he wanted to go so badly.  And, yes, he has the freedom to run and jump and act a fool on his own, but add a rider to the mix, and all of a sudden his balance changes.  So, I resist the urge and wait.  And I'm constantly touching that left hind and comparing it to the right.  Some days, I think I feel NO puffiness.  Other days, I'm positive I do.  So, now I'll know for SURE.

Medium news?
With that in mind, I've started legging up Socks, with an eye to a VERY slow 50 at Buffalo Run in April.  I've never done a ride out of state, but when J.L. (Cowboy and Jett's mommy) mentioned that it wasn't much further away than going to Racing Stripes in Mount Pleasant, and she could do more than stay and ride for one day, the decision was simple. 

Buffalo Run, here we come!!  Need to find out if it's also TERA sanctioned.  Hoping it is!

Right now, we're doing some lunging as I just don't have time to ride at night when we get home.  We started with 20 minutes of solid trot (and some canter) on the line, and we're now up to 25 minutes (and some canter).  I'll be taking him out for a road ride this weekend.

On the 15th, I took Tilly out for a road ride, which wasn't exactly the most pleasant.  We practiced wearing a rump rug.  We lunged with it covering her butt, and with it drawn up.  Then it was head out the gate, practice the "Come pick me up" cue and get in the saddle.  Then we fought about which direction to go.  Ultimately, I let her win because she was willing to go left out of our gate, but started getting downright dangerous when asked to go right out of our front gate.  If you'll move your feet, I'm semi-willing to allow you to pick our route.  So, we rode the entire length of the county road that parallels our property.  We had some spook moments.  Some freak moments.  But, her slow walk is about 4.5, and her medium, not even pushing hard at a gait speed is at 8.5.  Impressive.

However, I only got in about an hour and 10 minutes.  I wanted a little bit more time in the saddle, so Joe let us in the gate at the house and I went to ride around some more.  Yeah.  Not a bright idea, truth be told.  But only is obvious in retrospect.  The rest of the herd was loose, so as she and I went to the back pasture, they came thundering up behind her, which caused some tension and anxiety.  We fought for a bit, and I realized, she was just getting more and more worked up, and I would be better off to get off and work with her on the ground.

And that's when all hell broke loose.  The herd bolted off through the trees, and Tilly took off with them.  And she just kept accelerating.  No one rein stop (she's stiff as a board, and I forgot to work on flexing her before I got on, as Michael Gason teaches...I just spaced out).  And I realized, perhaps, for my own safety, it's just better to bail off a fleeing horse on semi-soft ground.

So I did.  Oh, I was cussing and swearing up a blue storm the entire time, but I bailed off.

There's a reason I now always wear a helmet.  I'm semi-sure I got a mild concussion as I don't remember getting up and walking to the house very clearly.  I don't remember when Kaylee joined me either, but she was there with me.

I dread to think about how bad it might have been had I NOT been wearing my helmet.

And, sadly, it was a brand new helmet.  So already, I need to replace it.  ANNOYING!!!  But, cheaper than an ER visit any day of the week!

After that ride, I realized our next session was perhaps better spent on a lunge line.  So, that next Sunday I worked her for 20 minutes.  Girl didn't even break a sweat, knew to conserve her energy, but, when working to the right, she could stretch out.  Gorgeous to watch.  Just gorgeous.

The bad news?
Sometime early Tuesday the 23rd, Tilly passed away. 
It was my worst nightmare made reality.  We were leaving for work and as we were going down the driveway, I saw her, and I knew, I KNEW the second our headlights hit her, she was gone.
Hysterical crying and sobbing ensued while Joe checked her.
But, she was gone.

Ground was undisturbed, and she was on her side, no trauma.  We opted to not do a necropsy on her.  Suspicion is an aneurysm.

Joe stayed home with me, and he was tasked with finding someone to come get her.  I couldn't remain calm enough to talk to anyone.

Thankfully, he found a very kind gentleman who was able to come and collect her.  I couldn't go outside either during the process.  But, he told Joe that the low fee he charges really only covers his costs.  He views this service as an act of love (he's a horseman himself), and he understands it's necessary.  He told Joe that she wouldn't be alone; she's going to a state approved facility where other equines are buried.  And, for whatever that was worth, it eased my pain a little.  The idea of a horse going to the dump (which is, sadly, where many end up), pains me.  And, while I didn't love her as I love any of my boys, I loved her still. 

Kaylee doesn't seem to understand where Tilly went, just that she's not coming back.  Sometimes she's at "Miss H's" (where Dakini is).  Sometimes she knows Tilly is in Heaven.  And last night, Tilly became a unicorn who lives in a rainbow.

Any which way, bless you Tilly.  They say you learn the most from the most challenging of horses.  You had more lessons to teach me, and I wish we'd had more time so I could have learned them, but, run free big girl. 

Tilly and I at Lake Sam Rayburn in November.

Socks, Strider and Tilly (right after her arrival at HGR).

Larger than life. And a unicorn to boot.


No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...