Friday, July 20, 2018

Summer vacation is over....or "Back to work kids!"

Let me assure you, I am NOT a fan of this "lunging for fitness" for my horses.  Not because there's anything inherently wrong with it, per se, but because I can see how we're ALL going to get bored with it. 

Things went smoothly though, so for that I am grateful.  Karma is 'sticky' when asked to go to the right, but she quickly figured it out.

I attached my Garmin to the halter last night to just get an idea of how far they went, and their overall average speed.

Now, the PLAN was to lunge Strider first, let Karma have her dinner, then pull her and work her.

Except, our cow turned into an escape artist and went visiting next door.  She came to the gate that separates our properties, and followed me through for dinner, but that kind of threw things off kilter. 

So, instead, it was work Karma first and Strider second.

I went out with the target goal of a 25 minute workout for each horse.  I was pretty much on the money for Karma, but about 2 minutes short for Strider.

Also, I remembered to take pictures last night of each horse so that I can make a weekly comparison and see how things are tightening up on them.

Initial observations before I post the Garmin's results?

Karma is just, naturally, faster than Strider.  What seemed to be her "traveling speed" is about 1 mph faster than Strider's traveling speed last night.  Strider, though, to his credit, knew what was up, and I feel he knew he needed to conserve his energy.  So, that might have been a factor that played in to this whole thing.

So, here we go.

The link to Karma's work out is here.

Here's the stats breakdown




Time   Cumulative Time Moving Time


Avg Speed Avg Moving Speed Max Speed
1 7:04.6    7:04.6 6:45


8.5 8.9 13.5
2 6:05.6    13:10 6:04


9.8 9.9 13.3
3 10:27    23:38 10:10


5.7 5.9 9.1
4 1:20.6    24:58 1:10


2.5 2.8 3.0











And, just for a starting point of reference; pictures of her from last night pre-workout.

Don't look at me.

If I don't look at you, are you really here?

Did you just take a picture of my butt?!!
Initial thoughts regarding Karma?

Her working gait is just faster than Strider's.  There's no getting around that.  Once I can figure out how to attach my heart-rate monitor to her when she's not tacked up, I'll start tracking that as well.  I'm dying to know what it is (was).  Based on the physical response, she could probably rock a LD right now as she is.  She was a little sweaty, but her breathing wasn't hard or labored. 

Once she hit her stride and settled in after squirting around some, her gait is big and ground covering.  And, I was just looking at the picture of Dez and I from River Run, and I can see the familial similarities in them.  And, with that being the case, she's going to be a powerhouse.  Now to make sure she's a powerhouse who can take good care of herself!!!

Now, on to Strider.

The link to his workout is here.

Strider's workout breakdown stats.

I tried to get him squared up.  He refused my instance.  So, fine.  I'll work with what he gave me.


Why?  Just, why Mom.

I already know what's up mom, and this is bullshit.

I refuse to stand squarely.  Kiss my Paso ass.

Time Cumulative Time Moving Time


Avg Speed Avg Moving Speed Max Speed
5:59.7       5:59.7 5:59


10.0 10.0 13.5
10:46       16:45 10:31


5.6 5.7 7.6
6:19.5       23:05 6:15


4.0 4.1 5.4
23:05      23:0522:49


6.36.413.5



Thoughts?

He knows what's up.  He was doing his best to conserve his energy through this entire exercise.  Smart of him.  Very smart.  He was utterly disgusted with it.  He HATES mindless work and circles.  So do I.  But...I don't really have much choice.  First ride is in October.  I LITERALLY have 79 days from today to get them both legged up and ready to rock and roll.  They will be lunged 5 days a week (or 4 if life interferes).  Once my truck is back up and running, I plan to ride once a week and then maybe drop the lunging to 3 or 4 days a week. 

I understand the value of rest, which is why I'm fluctuating between the days of lunging and work I'll be doing. 



































































No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...