Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Lessons in learning to roll with it....or "Don't worry, I've gots this!!!"

So, Karma has now officially been on my property for almost 6 weeks.  In those 6 weeks, I have hauled her off-site and ridden her twice.

Each time, I have been nothing but impressed with her.  I opted to just go ahead and ride her in the rope halter like Strider does, and, she has taken to it with ease.  She gaits, has a BIG walk, is forward and eager, and polite.  Doesn't seem spooky, but does NOT like to stand still (that's actually a pet peeve of mine, and one Strider isn't great at either). 

I had forgotten that she doesn't know the "Come Pick Me Up" cue, so the second time I went to get on, I couldn't figure out why I had this spinning top going around and around the mounting block for a few moments.  I won't lie, that is the most USEFUL thing I've ever taught any of my horses.  Mounting is the one point in time where I have major anxiety getting on a horse (no idea why, nothing bad has ever happened to me), so one that will stand still and come TO me is nice. 

Guess what I'll be teaching Karma ASAP?

So, I wanted to spend the first month or so getting to know her, bonding with her on the ground and just seeing who she is.  So far, I am impressed with her.  She is an aloof mare, and not at ALL affectionate, but she IS inquisitive, and she is crystal clear about her desires and wants.  I knew that she liked to be scratched, and one evening I took some treats outside with me, then scratched at her left shoulder.  She looked at me, whipped her head around and touched her right shoulder.  I thought "Oh, bug."

Wrong.

I kept on scratching, and she again looked at me, whipped her head around and touched her right shoulder.

"Oh, do you want me to scratch you there?"

Which I promptly did...and was rewarded with her curling her neck around me as she looked me in the eye.

I then spent over 30 minutes finding out where she liked to be scratched.  I would stop, and she would move herself and wait until I started scratching whatever body part was presented. 

She literally backed her butt in to me, so I reached up and started itching her hindquarters.  She almost fell over she was in such bliss.  I stepped away, and she backed in to me again.  She's like Strider and likes right beneath her tail itched. 

I did ask her to please be kind and not kick me.  And she was a lady.  Her owner actually told me she likes her udders scratched (which I found to be true a few days ago in a separate scratching session...she seems to like that BEST).

After about 25 minutes of scratching, I needed to go inside, so I offered her a hug, which just seemed to offend her, and she walked away from me.  I made a mental note, we do NOT give Karma hugs.

She was staring off in to the distance (looking at the cows in the pasture across the road from us perhaps?) and I walked about 100 yards from her and I called out her name and crooked my finger and said "Come here Karma."

She paused for a moment...and then did.  Where we resumed our scratching session for another 10 or so minutes before I finally told her I HAD to go inside.

She is now the one to come greet me (she thinks I have treats, and about 8 times out of 10, I do).  When we drive up after work, she'll walk over to the gate and nose me for treats.

So, it was a HUGE disappointment that, after a GREAT ride with her on July 4th (with my friend C.B. [Decker's mom]), my truck started acting funky on the way home.  I initially wrote it off to the roads being wet and slick (it RAINED, a TORRENTIAL downpour! In TEXAS!!!  DURING THE SUMMER!!!)...except...I knew it wasn't. 

First symptom; my cruise control, which had worked on the way to where I was hauling, stopped working.

Second symptom; when put in to Tow/Haul it didn't have a lot of "go", and would "shudder".

Third symptom; not in Tow/Haul, occasionally it would shudder/have no "go".

We took both vehicles in for oil changes a few days later and asked the mechanic to pull the codes off the truck as, when Joe went to start him up that morning, the "Check Engine" light came on (and it was NOT on when I shut the truck off on Wednesday).

Well, could be anything from the fuel pump, to a wiring issue, to a multitude of other things.

But, the more Joe and I talked about it, we're PRETTY sure we have a fuel leak.

Truck has been leaking SOME fluid, but we couldn't figure out WHAT (we checked EVERY fluid level monthly, but none of them were dropping).
My fuel economy hauling has gotten worse.
My fuel economy NOT hauling has gotten worse.
(I wrote that off to the truck needing shocks)

But...a fuel leak could be why my cruise control stopped working (it works off the pressure).
Why in Tow/Haul he shudders and now, when not in Tow/Haul as well.
And, it would explain this fluid that it's dropping.

Now, the problem is that I was going to go to LHI this weekend to start the official kick-off to prepping Karma for her debut in October.  But, no tow vehicle means she's not going anywhere.

Alrighty then...so, what CAN I do to leg her up at home?

And thus was the "Lunging for fitness" plan  that I dreamed up and then ran by one of my mentors, D.C. (wife to R.C. and owners of Tivio and Dez).  She agreed that, while it isn't ideal, it IS a working solution until the truck is up and running. 

PLAN is:  Lunge 4 to 5 times a week.  I'll start at 20 minutes and build to 30 to 35 minutes. 

I will also be doing this for Strider as well...I have some plans for him this fall...

CURRENT PLANS:
Quitaque Climb; Karma will make her debut doing an LD.  Strider will be doing an as-of-yet undetermined distance...and I may not make that call until the day before...but...in the back of my mind is tickling that we haven't yet gotten a 50 done this ride season.

Armadillo Run:  Unsure who is going.  Joe is HOPING to take Ranger and, as such, we'll do an Intro.  If that goes according to plan, Strider will go to earn some additional points towards his Pleasure Long Distance PFHA goal this year.  However, if Joe and Ranger don't go, then Karma is on deck for another LD.

NATRC Ride at Bell Cow Lake in Oklahoma:  Joe and I are talking about doing this together.  I'm planning on going and taking Strider.  If Joe doesn't go, then I might aim Strider to do the Open division.  OR Karma in the Open division.  If Joe goes, we'll ride together in the Novice division, and I'll take Strider. 

River Run:  This is in December.  D.C. and I talked about this, and, while ultimately Karma will tell me what she can handle, and if she even enjoys this...I have BIG plans for her.  Obviously it will be another 50 mile attempt for Strider.  And...well...it might just be a slow 50 for Karma as well.

So, I have plans in mind. 

Which means, it's time to get back to work with my ponies.  And with Joe's pony.

Summer break is over!!! 

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...