Thursday, May 07, 2015

Pre-ride weekend ramblings...

I'm currently at work, but I've already mentally checked out, despite the mountain of work threatening to bury and crush me beneath its behemoth hulk.  And it's not like I can even stay late to finish up what isn't done.  Joe and I have our first Dave Ramsey "Financial Peace University" class tonight promptly at 6:30, so, time is running out.

But, when I've gotten breaks in the workload (waiting on faxes, just taking a 15 minute break, or just needing a mental break from reading), I've been popping on Facebook....because that's what I do.

And I had a moment where I kind of went "The endurance community is kind of cool."

Now, I'm not going to lie, the first two rides I went to, I could sense/feel the cliques.  Dude, they're real, like in any other group of people.  It's not that they're unwelcoming to newcomers, but they're very excited to see friends they may only see at rides, so they're busy catching up with one another, so they may not exactly greet the "Green Beans" with open arms and a booming welcome.

My first ride, I happened to get to hitch a ride with a rider who has been in the community for a few years, but tends to keep to the fringe.  I get it.  So it was GREAT to have her as someone to keep me company all weekend long.  Didn't hurt she also shared her knowledge with me.  That's what probably helped Strider and I get our first completion. 

My second ride, I went 100% solo.  Right after the ride dinner, I was sitting in my trailer, feeling rather lonesome and out of sorts.  No one really talked to me, and I was so overwhelmed about the new routes that the trail was going to be taking due to the weather that mentally during the meeting, I just shut down.  It had already been a long day of hauling to get to camp, and then setting it up that I was just mentally checking out.

I sent a text to Joe while I was sitting in my tent feeling sad for myself and told him I didn't even know why I had come.  I was lonely and I didn't feel like I fit in.

Now, as a brief backtrack, another rider had started a private conversation for some of us newbie riders on Facebook to talk and get to know one another.  But, as I'm such an awkward chickenpants, I was to scared to try and find their trailer to go say hi.

Joe told me if I was that unhappy, he and Kaylee could come up (4 hour drive?  And sleep I dunno where?  No, I wouldn't subject them to my own folly).  OR, he said just pack it in and go home.

Not gonna lie; briefly thought about it.  Except it was getting dark by then.

So, I ran to go potty, and when I got back, there were 3 people in my camp petting Strider.

It was the group of people who had hooked me up with some fellow green riders! 

So, I walked with them back to their trailer, met their horses, and worked out a ride plan for the morning with the newbie rider.

And I felt better.  So, at least I knew someone!

And, then I met and rode with a very experienced rider on the trail who helped keep us on pace and on track, and then she happily conceded the Turtle Award to Strider and I. 

After our completion and I got Strider settled in after our ride, she and I had a celebratory glass of wine at her trailer and sat and talked.  And that was nice.  And she said she'd try and save us a spot next to her trailer for the next ride.

And, tomorrow I leave for our 3rd ride, but it'll be our last ride of my "spring" season.  And, here I am on Facebook, talking with people who are coming, looking forward to seeing her again. 

And the few people I've talked to on Facebook, who have either been at the rides I've already been at, or who I've met (albeit briefly), while none of them can make the ride this weekend, we're all making plans for the rides in the future.  And it's nice.  Well, actually, there's one lady who I briefly met at my first ride who'll be at this ride, and I'm planning to ride with her on Sunday...so that's taken care of!!

So, while I know there's cliques, it seems that my way around it is to form my own group of friends to talk to at rides.  And keep up with them between rides on Facebook. 

And I know that as each ride goes by, it will get easier and easier.  I'll be (slightly less) anxious about going and making it through.  I'll figure out more and more what works best for me and my horse.  We'll tally up more and more miles, and, I hope, we'll enjoy the trails as they pass beneath our hooves.

As my horse lends me the strength of his back, his legs, his feet, his wind and his heart, I hope that we can enjoy the trails together.  We'll never be swift, we'll never be 'racers', but may our rides always be safe and pleasurable together.

It's almost time again Strider.  Time to saddle up and ride.

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...