Monday, June 29, 2015

1 Week At Our New Equine "Residence"

So the boys (and Fuego!) have now been at their new place of residence for a full week.

And it would appear that the three of them have integrated with one another nicely.  Only a few additional scrapes and hair missing.  What a RELIEF!!

There was a lot of discussion prior to the move and lots of communication between people who knew all three horses about how to ease them in to this with minimal amount of fighting between them all. 

Quick recap about my two:
Socks - was an intact breeding stallion until 6 years of age; low man on the totem pole in a herd now that he's aged.  However, is boss of Strider.

Strider - gelded as a yearling.  While at the last boarding facility, he was top dog of the herd.  Can be a bully.  However, yields to Socks.

Now, lets add Fuego in to the mix.

Fuego is a beautiful red road mustang that my now co-boarder Jet owns.  He was also a stallion and has at least 1 filly I know about on the ground.  When I initially moved Socks and Strider to the previous boarding facility, Fuego ran my two in to the ground to keep them away from "his" herd.  So, for the past 2+ years, Fuego's been in a large pen with occasional rotation out when my two are put up.  The three of them will ride out together just fine.  It's just at liberty that things could have potentially gotten hairy, so rather than deal with it, the old BO just kept them apart.

However, I get along great with Jet.  And I didn't want to lose a good riding buddy.  I hated seeing our barn break up, so she and I decided we'd stay together if our 3 could get along.

AND THEY DO!!  HOOOOOORAY!!!

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...