Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Insert something here or...."I can't brain a subject"

The herd has settled down after the initial scuffling on the first night.

The reality is that, unless I somehow end up with a very strong willed horse, Strider will always remain top dog.  Except for Socks.  Who Strider will always give way to.  And yet other horses dominate him.  Socks is really just a go-with-the-flow kind of personality.

But, when Joe and I arrived home Monday evening, all three were behind the house, happily grazing.

Socks (the Fox), Strider and Chantilly (Tilly)
 He got out of the car for his first look at her and promptly declared "That's a good looking horse."  Walked over to her and patted her.  He's always a little rough, so she looked a little confused, but she didn't pull away from him.

Joe declared Monday night an "inside work" night.  I told him I had planned on at least laying hands on Tilly, doing my evening chores outside (filling their water trough) and I'd be inside as soon as possible.

She allowed me to approach her without running far (she took a few steps away from me). 

Who are you?  I'm not sure if I should run or stand here.
I touched her body all over, and decided I'd see if she'd let me pick her feet up.  She did.  So I picked all 4 up, and she only struggled a little bit with me.  We'll see how that goes moving forward, because her feet DO need to be trimmed.  And if she won't allow me to handle her feet, I'll need to start there with her groundwork.  But she wasn't bad about it.  Strider's been worse with thrashing on his back feet, so it might just be H's farrier was a little to abrupt for her.  We'll see.  Dakini used to be a TERROR about her feet, and she quickly came around.

I see you.  But there's also wolves (the dogs) over there too which I need to watch.

I walked away and grabbed a brush and a mane comb because she had a witches knot in her mane I wanted to get removed.  I ended up having to pull on it to get it loosened, and she lost some of it.  But, I got it all smoothed out.  She was gracious about standing still, but expressed, I think, some discomfort when I was trying to unsnarl the knot.  So, she might be a little "tenderheaded".  I apologized and then went to tackle her trail, which badly needs washed.  Overall she just needs a bath, but I can tell she's probably starting to put on her winter coat.  She's a little fluffy.  And I've noticed Socks is getting a little furrier too.  I never like what that potentially will signify.

Big.  Tall.  Majestic.  Slightly chicken.
But, her mane and tail are brushed.  She'll have to sit around some as I'm out of town this weekend to go to the Michael Gascon clinic.  Joe told me to take her.  Except, I want to take MY horse.  If I had a 3 horse trailer, I'd take Tilly and Strider, but, I have just the 2 horse, and since I'm picking Zurkh up on Sunday...I need the slot.

Besides, does Michael Gason know how to train a unicorn?

TillyCorn
So, this weekend it's a clinic and next weekend is Quitaque Climb!  Going to be BUSY!!

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...