Monday, December 25, 2017

Endurance 2018....or "Plans? We don't need no stinking plans!...or do we?"

As I'm sure you can gather, this is a scheduled post.  I'll reveal the info about Sunday at River Run (did I or didn't I ride?  If I rode, who got to go out?!  I'm sure you're really just dying...LOL!).

Instead, as I sit in the quiet of my office before my shift begins, most of the people already out on holiday break, I got to reflecting on this past endurance year, and what my 2018 endurance year will look like.

Perhaps this is an early New Year's post.  Not sure. 

So, 2017 has been rough and fun as well!!

Let's take a look at our AERC break down and see, stats-wise, where we ended up this year.

Horses competed at endurance rides:
3 (Strider, Dakini, Socks)

Miles each horse got credit for:
Strider: 50 endurance / 60 LD
Dakini: 30 LD
Socks: 0

Miles rider got credit for:
50 endurance / 90 LD

Miles attempted: 100 endurance / 170 LD

So, as you can see, my stats this year....pretty bad.

Reasons for non-completion:

2 Lameness
2 Rider Option

Disappointingly, in September, Strider took a very bad tumble.  We were lunging on the line in the front yard.  It's flat.  There was nothing happening that was out of the ordinary.  He was cantering as he was acting like a fool, but not out of control, when all of a sudden, he stumbled and went crashing down on both front legs, his head making contact with the ground as he skidded a few feet.  When he regained his feet, he was non-weight bearing on his left hind (LH).

I managed to convince him to cross the yard where I cold hosed him, then gave him a small dose of bute and left him out.  The constant motion is good for him.

But, as time dragged on and on...he just...wasn't getting better.

Well, I THOUGHT he was better until I took him to my trimmer for a touch up trim before taking him to a clinic.  She saw immediately when I led him off and had him pivot left that he was BAD. 

So, since then, he's been off.  And his LH has been swollen.  It's FINALLY gone down, around the beginning of December, but...he's still not quite right.

I've had Jodi Brassard of Brassard Equine Acupressure (https://www.brassardequineacupressure.com/) come out now to start doing acupressure on him.  We started doing that in October, and he's now had 3 appointments. 

All of that to say this; I'm not sure where my 2018 ride season is going. 

Dakini was given back to H, who finds her a MARVELOUS fit for her bad back.  So, while I sure do miss that sweet face, I'm beyond pleased that she's able to help someone who has helped me so much.

Socks is Socks.  He is always game to try whatever I wish to try.  And he may occasionally get to go to easy LDs.

And now there's Tilly.  Tilly needs a conditioning program.  And to be ridden more.  Joe and I gauged the road we live on and determined that one route is better than another for me to road ride, so, that's the plan.  It's not a LONG stretch of road (less than 2 miles, unless I get adventurous and tack on some of the more "main" road), but it's got wide shoulders, not as "curvy" where drivers wouldn't see us, and the shoulder looks fairly flat, not INCREDIBLY rocky, but hopefully enough to help keep toughening up soles. 

Now, on my calendar, I've written down ALL the rides I'm currently HOPING that somehow I can attend.

That list includes:
High Roller at 7iL
Old Glory at Trace Trails
Shanghai Trails at the Shanghai Pierce Ranch (and I'm on the fence...there's so much bad juju..that I should go to get rid of that!)
Racing Stripes at the Priefert Ranch
Last Hoorah at the Six0 Ranch
Quitaque Climb at the Pole Canyon Ranch
Armadillo Run at the Davy Crockett National Forest (this one isn't posted yet, but it's an annual thing!)

One ride not listed is Heart of the Hills in Bandera.  I've yet to be able to have a horse with reliable foot protection to make that ride.  It's on my "to ride" list, but not this year again.

So, as I'm looking at that list...I'm trying to decide, which will I REALLY go to?  And which ones could I potentially have a horse ready for?

High Roller?  I could take Socks for an LD.  He's completed one there already with gas in the tank when he finished.  But, he'll need to wear bell boots, and there's a LOT of sand there, which could cause irritation and rubs.  BUT, I did buy 2 pair of bell boots, so I can change them out between loops.  Decisions, decisions....

I'll spill the beans about what, if anything, I'll be doing for High Roller later.

That brings me to Old Glory at Trace Trails.  Again, I can take Socks.  It's technical trail.  I went overtime there with Strider when we first started endurance.  So, my DREAM was to return there with Strider and defeat those trails.  However, unless something magical happens when Jodi touches him again in January, that's not going to happen.  So, take Socks again? 

Shanghai Trails next.  I could, in theory have Tilly legged up for a SLOW LD.  Or Strider might be just fine to go by this point, definately for an LD.  And, part of me thinks I need to just avoid this ride after all of the bad juju from last year.  And then part of me thinks I need to return to shake off that bad juju.  I'm really REALLY not sure what I will be doing about this ride.  And it may be that I won't decide until a few days before the ride.  We'll see.

Racing Stripes.  I've already promised my friend J.L. (Cowboy and Jett's mommy) that I would be there.  And I WILL be there.  Now, this ride is in April.  Assuming Strider has been given the green light in January (I'm also looking into doing an ultrasound and perhaps a lameness evaluation), I should have him legged back up again for an LD for sure.  Perhaps back in 50 fighting shape.  Well, SLOW 50 fighting shape.  This ride would be my pick of all the currently posted rides for Strider and I to aim for to try and get year 3 towards our Decade Team done.  ASSUMING he's okay.  And, if nothing else, perhaps by this point Tilly will be ready for back to back LDs.  Any which way, I may only be there and doing Intros, but I'm going.

Last Hoorah.  My favorite ride, but the ride that kicked MY ass last year.  I've yet to earn a completion at this ride.  Now I SWORE to the RM last year I was giving up the 50 mile division last year....and yet....and yet...I just can't seem to quit it.  IF Strider is ready and IF I have proper foot protection...we'll aim for a 50 again.  If we don't have foot protection and he still isn't ready...then LD it is.  And at that point, I'm not sure who would go.  If foot protection is covered, I'll take Tilly.  Or Socks with Hoof Armor (his feet are pretty tough). 

Quitaque Climb in October.  By this point, oh PLEASE Strider has to be better!!  We'll do a 50.  I'll take Tilly as well.  She'll certainly do an LD.  If I'm going to dream big, she'll also do a 50.

Armadillo Run.  This one would be about 2 weeks after Quitaque.  So who knows who I'll take or what distance I'll do.

Okay...so, realizing that this is the PLAN (as scattered and all over the place as it is), the odds are quite good I will have more not-ridden miles than ridden miles again this year.  I make plans, and invariably, something happens.  Such is the way of both horses and endurance.

But, for me, as each year goes by, my goals change a little bit.  I learn a little bit more.  And stretch myself to grow. 
Endurance 2018 holds wonderful things for me.  Once again I am riding with the Green Bean Team of "May the Horse Be With You".  I was invited to ride with the Texas Endurance Riders Association (TERA) team as well.  And now I get to bring Tilly along to start learning endurance!  And I'll re-start Strider.  So two, potentially 3 horses to fit up to go play with me!!  Looks like the name of the game is "Ride one/Pony one" this year!

Endurance 2018, I'm not sure what lessons you have in store for me this year.  But, as long as you leave me with healthy horses, I'll take whatever lessons it is you want to give to me.

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...