Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Guest Ride....or "Meeting Aleandro de Vez"

So, at Armadillo, while I was walking around with the sweet owner of Miss Betsy Boots, I found out she boarded with a couple who I knew as the husband is a Paso Fino endurance rider (he's the one who helped Strider and I through our first 50, in fact). 

While we were walking around, we ran into them and got to talking.  I mentioned that my Paso is currently out as he hurt himself.  They mentioned in passing that, if I was interested, I could perhaps ride their boy Aleandro de Vez ("Dez") at a ride.

Now, I thought they were kidding.  Don't ask me why.  Probably because my ride record isn't very good.  I'm still figuring things out.  And the level of TRUST to allow someone to ride your own personal horse...that's a lot.  And, how well do they KNOW me?  I mean, I could be an abusive rider for all they know (I'm not).  I could override their horse (I wouldn't).  It's very trusting to allow someone else to ride your horse.

But, I sent a message through Betsy's owner, and said if they were serious, I would be flattered.

So, it transpired that they WERE serious.  Well then, so am I!

Arrangements were made, and I tentatively planned to come out Thanksgiving weekend to at least TRIAL ride him before River Run (which was the following weekend).

Sunday morning on the 25th saw me in the car and cruising towards Huntsville for a date with a pretty bay gelding!  And a pleasant ride in the Sam Houston National Forest!


I hit the road and filled the car up...then realized I was hungry so stopped at another gas station for breakfast.  I am pretty sure I was a disappointment to the guy behind the counter.  I was dressed as I always do for riding; my Ariats, half-chaps, runners tights, and a 3/4 zip long-sleeve sun shirt with another shirt beneath it.  He asked if I was going running or going to work out.  I said, no, I was actually going horseback riding.

"OH!!  Do you have your truck and your trailer?"  *starts looking around excitedly, thinking maybe they're in my pocket?*
"Oh, well...usually I do.  But today I'm just in my car.  I'm riding someone else's horse."
"Oh.  What kind of riding do you do?"
"I like to ride long distances.  25 or 50 miles."
"OH!  Are you doing that today?"
"Uh, well, not today.  Today I'm just doing a short ride."
"Oh." *his face kind of falls* "Well, have a good ride!  Come back next time when you have your horses!"
"Sure thing!"

I didn't have the heart to say I have NEVER YET needed to go this way to go to a ride.  Oh well.

Waze took me a very convoluted way to their home (like, it took me PAST the turn off for their road, had me do a turn around on another road and then sent me back...wouldn't it have just been easier to turn down their road in the first place?!!!), but I found it and was only a few minutes late.

Their property is just gorgeous with large spaces for the horses to play, and a pretty barn.  Took a quick potty break, then we loaded up Tivio and then headed over to their other property to pick up D's horse and my ride for the day, Dez.

They are wonderful people to spend the day with.  I laughed and just had a great time.  I have such social anxiety, I wasn't sure how things would go, but it was quite smooth. 

I ended up riding in their Barefoot, and we did the pipeline trail in the forest, which was maybe a 30 minute drive.  And now I understand why their horses are so very very fit.  These hills are gentle, but they are quite a workout!  We went out and back, and then added on some distance that took us by the trailer.

Dez was quite easy to ride, though I had been warned at the ride to bring gloves as he is a puller.

His previous owner raced him, and his current owners aren't racers, they believe in a steady pace that doesn't tear the horse up.  In fact, D is like myself; fights for the turtle award!  LOL!!!

I was given permission to treat him like I treat my own horses and to not allow him to pull any antics.  For which I was glad.  I don't want to upset someone by correcting their horse, but I also don't want to get hurt either.

Really, for this initial "Hello, how are you?  Let's see how we work together," ride, Dez was fantastic!! 

"Just wait."  I was warned.

So I did.  For a little less than a week!!

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...