Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Shopping List/Wish List...or "Small Purchases for Long-term Improvement"

So, since Shanghai Trails, I haven't stepped on a horse since.

Well, until the 14th.  It was a combination of recovery (I really had no idea I'd feel as badly as I felt) and probably a bit of anxiety.  Seems like when the wheels shoot off (as compared to falling off), I get scared and doubt myself and the sanity of endurance. 

But I can't seem to fully quit my drug of choice. 

So, I've been reading and researching.  And buying. 

I just acquired two of these:
Why?  Because Dr. Susan Garlinghouse mentioned them in a seminar at the AERC convention, and if they work for Dr. G, and for my friend who jotted down notes, then it's time I started using them too!!  Ordered two and in red...to match the RedDraggin', naturally.

I've got my Tractor Supply shopping list:
Muck Bucket (to soak hay in on the trips...or for rides where we have to tote it back out...line it with a trashbag liner and fill it)


Steel trash can (this stays at the barn..apparently a rat thinks Strider's ProForce Fuel is DELICIOUS, so...I need another can)


35 gallon "Incredible Solutions trash can" (inexpensive way to haul another 35 gallons of water to a ride for a mere $25)


 CMPK (replace the one I currently have)


I also will be ordering the ProCMC and some small wide-mouth jars.

Suffice to say, I've been studying the electrolyte protocols and committing to them in earnest going forward. 

I WILL:
Electrolyte 3 days leading up to the ride once a day
Electrolyte prior to loading onto the trailer
IN the trailer in the new buckets will be a soupy/wet mash of ProForce Fuel, Rice Bran and some rinsed beet pulp (actually, looking into the SpeediBeet which doesn't have molasses AND only needs to soak for 10 minutes!)
Electrolyte after getting out of the trailer
Electrolyte at bedtime
I will get up early and electrolyte
And before I get in the saddle I will electrolyte
I will electrolyte every hour to hour and a half on the trail
I will carry carrots (87% water) and apples (84% water) with me on trail
1 hour POST ride, I will electrolyte again

Current plan is:
Last Hoorah! Strider - 50 miles
Old Glory; Dakini and Socks on deck - 25 miles each day
Llano Estacado; Strider/Dakini/Strider - 25 miles each day

Then this insane Spring season is over for us.  They all get to relax and be horses for the summer (with some sporadic riding here and there).  I will probably pull Strider's shoes for the summer, but not totally sure yet.

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...