Thursday, April 13, 2017

Endurance Introspection...(both the blog and my own...)

(FYI-I have the post regarding Sunday at Shanghai started...I shall finish as soon as I can...until then....)

So, I stumbled across Patti Stedman's blog at EnduranceIntrospection.com (after having looking at her online Endurance 101 course which I shall be taking shortly) and, as is normal, started at the oldest post and am working my way forward. 

Let me assure you that there is a LOT to be gleaned from her blog; especially for those of us on "non-traditional" endurance horses.  I also wish that someday I could have half her good grace at ill-luck while doing this sport.

I digress though.

I was reading through her May 31st, 2011 post and saw this:
"Best to go in to a 100 underconditioned and well-rested than the inverse."

I was truly struck by this statement and jotted it down and rolled it around in my head.  Weighed it.  Considered it.  Found the truth to it.  Know it, myself, to be true (at least for 50's.  No comment on 100's.   Yet.).

When Strider and I did this year's River Run, he was not as conditioned as I had wished.  Ultimately, despite what I say, I genuinely AM okay with a pull when it's for my equine's welfare.  I rail against them emotionally because, when they happen, it's because I somehow failed my horse.  Wasn't diligent about keeping an eye on the time.  Hit a rock.  Didn't electrolyte properly prior to the ride.  ALL of those things are utterly and completely MY fault.  And I am embarassed by those things.

However, and I know people go back and forth and argue fiercely, but I find this to be true; almost ANY horse, who is reasonably fit, can do an LD.  ALMOST any horse.  Not every horse.  Not any horse.  But many.  I point to, as always, Strider and Socks.  Socks was literally pulled from my pen, thrown into a trailer, and did a 30 mile LD.  Strider's very first LD was under much the same conditions.  Pulled and tossed into a trailer, taken to ride camp and did 25 miles. 

Amazing animals.  Amazing partners.  Amazing souls.

I digress.

I would say Socks was underconditioned but well-rested for his first, second AND third LD.  When you go to any gathering of endurance riders, they'll tell you about conditioning, and everything else you should do before doing an LD.  I get it.  I really do. 

But, here's Socks' quick stats: 
First LD; HW Rider (myself).  30 miles.  Hot and humid.  Not pre-loaded electrolytes.  First time ever to a ride.  Turtled.
Second LD; Junior rider (Josh).  25 miles.  Cold and damp(ish).  Pre-loaded electrolytes.  Very sandy ride.  Mid-pack.
Third LD; LW (?) rider.  25 miles.  Warm.  Pre-loaded electrolytes.  Turtled.  To be fair, he was keeping back with Strider who was on day 2 after having done the 50 the day before.

I question how much of that was his breed?  How much was it the riders after myself?  Don't know.  But know he LOVES it.

Strider was VERY underconditioned for his first ride.  I had no idea what I was doing.  He was in a heavy saddle.  Tried to keep up with the front of the pack (I did mention I had NO idea what I was doing, right?).  Completed back of the pack.

Next ride a few weeks later.  Same saddle.  Rode with a lady with lots of experience.  Turtled.  OT'd our next ride (I rode alone and had NO IDEA what I was doing without someone to keep me on target with time...also got lost a few times).

Dakini's actually done 2 rides.  She's 50/50 right now.  Though as they dug the big rock out of her rear foot at the ride she and I did together...PRETTTTTY sure that was the culprit!

My ride record shows OTs.  Lameness pulls.  A RO.  It's the record of someone who's fumbling.

Anyway...All of this to say that; I find Patti's statement dead on.  My horses retain fitness once they've gotten it.  Sometimes they already had it, and if I'm careful about management, I get them through their rides.  Or, as I learned at Shanghai, if I'm NOT careful...my brave horse cannot succeed. 

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...