Monday, January 09, 2017

Another challenge as motivator...

So, as I'm sure you've noticed, I skipped some last week.

No one needs to hear me nattering on and on about "What I'm going to do" and "What I'm PLANNING to do".

And with the bitter cold, I just haven't wanted to get out in it.

I had a ride planned for Saturday with my good friend J and her awesome horses Cowboy and Jett...but, after gauging the temps, we decided it was just too cold to toss them into trailers and haul them with the cold air.  They're just not acclimated to these temperatures.  That's not fair to them.

Also, while I WILL ride in the cold, it is not something that I ENJOY or LOVE!!  And, as I promised myself that ultimately I should enjoy and LOVE riding, this didn't fall into those categories.  So, while I LOVE spending time with J, I wasn't going to subject myself to a solo ride on Saturday.  And I had things I could go do with my family, so I opted for that instead.

I will be missing tonight's calendared ride due to a potential new family member; Rango.  He's coming for a home visit with his foster.  I'm HOPING he'll end up being my new barn dog.  He has some anxiety issues around humans, but I think he'll come out of them.  And his fosters have paid for a lifetime of dog training for him, so, I'm thinking on Saturdays I can run to the training for him, then run to the barn afterwards, tether him and either go and ride, or put him on a long lead rope and take him out with me.  Or both.  We'll see.  So I'm excited about it!

I did clear with Joe that I'll be riding Wednesday evening.  Actually, I'll be doing Strider's feet FIRST while I have light, then I'll try and cram in a quick ride.  Or we'll do lots and lots of laps in the arena. 

I signed up Saturday evening for yet another challenge; the 2017 Northwood Farms 12 Week Horsemanship Challenge.

The rules are simple:
"We are each picking 1 special horse (or mule) and in 12 weeks are spending 40 total horsemanship hours and riding 30 times.  Any rides count towards our 40 hours.  5 rides can be bareback the rest need to be saddled.  No minimum ride time but 2 hours minimum between rides."

Well, so basically anytime I hop into Strider's saddle (he's the one I picked as my goal for this year is to FINALLY teach him the sidepass so I can open and close gates), I will be earning time/points/credit towards:
Pasos for Pleasure
The Green Bean Endomondo Endurance Challenge
The Northwood Farms 12 Week Horsemanship Challenge

I'm actually excited.  It kicked off on Sunday at 12:01, but I'll get my first ride in on Wednesday.  Or at least a training session.  But most likely a ride as I think he's going to have energy to burn off.  And with our ride in 2 more weeks...well, I should perhaps at least SIT on him, right?  :|  Maybe try out that rump rug I bought him and see how he takes to it?

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...