Tuesday, October 10, 2017

I need just one more hour a day....or "Work takes up too much of my horse time!"

Last night saw Kaylee and I back in our weeknight routine. 

Get home, change clothes, go out and feed the horses. 

Although, last night was a fun twist; Strider knew what was happening so he just walked into his pen on his own and waited.  Thanks dude for making my job easier!

I gave Kaylee Zurkh's halter and lead rope and told her to carry them for him.  So she managed to juggle her water cup, his halter and his lead rope.

Smug face.  She LOVES being outside.
"I'm going to get my Zurkh!"
Not at all surprising, he came over to us, so I quickly slid his halter on him, coiled up the lead rope and gave it to Kaylee and told her to take him over to his pen so he could eat his dinner.

Kaylee leading Zurkh over to his feeding pen.
We got him safely tucked away in his pen, and she promptly started dropping handfuls of hay in on him and Strider (she's helping!!  Gotta feed our ponies!).  She knows to give them from my good bale, not the "ewwww nasty" bales that the previous owner has left in the barn, and who knows WHAT all is in them (she's been told to stay away from them...I worry about snakes and mice, nevermind mold and mildew for the horses). 

I'm starting to get into a smoother routine for prepping their pans.

Strider gets one handful of grain, a 6oz scoop of hoof supplement and he's on Precision Joint Solution for 3 weeks (seeing if it helps with his leg issue).  And, tonight I'm going to start tossing in the Probiotic.  All of his gets watered down, which he slurps up.

Zurkh gets 2 to 2.5 handfuls of grain, 2 scoops of Cool Calories, and a liberal pour of CocoSoya.  And tonight I'm also going to start tossing some Probiotic in his as well.

Honestly, I need to also start adding some salt to everyone's feed, and start tossing Tilly and Socks a tiny handful of grain and salt to keep encouraging everyone to drink as the temps dip. 

Then, in a surprising twist, I realized I still had sunlight, I should get back to working on feet.  I need to fit the EasyBoot shells I have sitting in my house and return them soon so I can order Strider his own boots.  But, last night he was almost a week and a half post trim.  Time to work on maintaining what Holly had done.

I just planned to do his fronts.  Except, I had to keep taking breaks to watch Kaylee walk to the house and go inside.....then she'd come back outside...and want to go back inside...

So, she built in little work breaks for me as I dripped sweat everywhere (sexy, right?) and took a breather between feet.

And, I managed to get all 4 done!!  So they look like a pro did them?  HECK NO!!  But, I pushed the toes back, rasped and cleaned them up.  And, since they had a little stink, I put Durasole on all 4, which I should have been doing anyway to build up toughness.

So, I'm actually now a little ahead of my personal trimming calendar.  I got Socks' front feet done.  Tonight I'll do his back feet and we'll see how Zurkh does for front feet trimming.  And I'll pop those shells on Strider's feet and see what size(s) I need to get him some Gloves. 

I would go with the Scoot Boots, but I don't feel his heel is low enough yet.  I should take pictures and send them to my local Scoot Boot rep though and find out.  Because if so, I'll get him a set of his own Scoot Boots.

Another busy evening tonight. 

And at SOME point, I need to hop on Tilly and do some ground work with her as well. 

Somehow I'll get this all figured out!!

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...