Monday, October 09, 2017

Monday morning musings....or "Same ol' same ol'..."

Ever follow a blog, and then it just abruptly stops?  I always wonder where those bloggers went.  What happened to them? 

Some I know transitioned to Facebook.  But more often than not, they just seem to disappear for no reason I can discern.  I always wish they'd come back just once more to say goodbye.  As I've mentioned, I go back to the start of every single blog I read and work my way through.  I don't care how many years of blogging you've done, I'm going start to current.  So, if I've invested ANY time at all into your blog, understand, I'm interested in you and your life.  Don't vanish on me, ok?

Why do mushrooms grow so well out of horse poop?  I have mushrooms growing willy nilly at the house.  They're fascinating, and they amuse me, but they sure do seem to love growing in shit.  And why do horse poop mushrooms look so different from the other types?  I'm sure there's a reason for all of these things, but, I'm not feeling inspired enough to go hit up Google and ask why.

Why do passwords have to expire?  No, seriously...why?  And why don't you get reminders about how the password should be structured?  Some websites will remind you that your password will have required both letters AND symbols.  But, more often than not, they don't remind you of that, so I'm there banging out my password (I have just a few variations on the same theme), over and over again, whirling through my combinations, to be locked out.  So I reset it, and when I'm resetting my password, it reminds me I need both letters and symbols, and when I go to do it...well, guess what?  That was my previous password, so sorry, you can't use that one!  So. Frustrating.  And incites a level of rage on a Monday morning that I probably shouldn't have. 

I don't like Gala apples.  Not sure why.  Maybe because the fruit is so soft?  But I love a Granny Smith apple.  The tart and the 'crunch'.  My favorite. 

So sorry I'm so tired.  I think that right now life is a little stale for me.  I'm not really riding.  I did trim up Socks' feet on Friday evening because he was cracking and chipping.  And I did learn something fascinating.  I am LESS concerned about screwing up his feet than I am about Strider's feet.  And I suspect there's a lot of factors at play there.

With Strider, if I take off too much heel or I don't push that toe back far enough, it stresses his tendons.  And he's already prone to tenderness with his tendons.  So I don't want my poor trim job to be the root cause of that. 

With Socks, well, everything about him is so "go with the flow" that it's ridiculous.  He stands still like a statue when I'm trimming his feet (Strider isn't BAD, but he will wiggle and squirm).  I did remember a few things Holly had gone over with me when doing Strider's feet.  Socks remains fairly well in balance, but he does flare to the outside some.  But, I was able to easily clean up his feet and get them rasped up, and they looked WORLDS better. 

But, here's the magic.  I know that, for the horse's health, their feet really DO need to be trimmed properly.  But, Socks has a higher tolerance for my mistakes, if that makes sense?  So, while I can butcher the job, as long as I haven't LAMED him, he'll be okay ultimately.  So I was able to just nip, nip, nip around, level things out, rasp and round the toes....and when I set his feet down, while I know that a professional would look at them and point out issues, I felt good. 

Tonight I need to rasp Strider's toes back again on all 4.  Check his feet.  And then fit on the shells for the Easy Boots I've got sitting in the house. 

I'm fairly certain that he will be sitting out Armadillo Run at the moment.  I will re-evaluate him this weekend and see where he's at though.  I keep hoping he'll bounce back so I can take him. 

Otherwise, I'll go and take Socks again.  Which I both look forward to...and dread.  Socks ADORES the rides.  LOVES them.  Just, my body doesn't.  But, we'll take it nice and slow.  I believe I'll be potentially sponsoring a junior through this ride (unless it's hot and humid, then her mother will drop and do the LD with her).  And...oh PLEASE let me get it done.  Because I am 5 miles away from my 250 LD patch.  I ONLY NEED 5 MILES!!!!

So, bring it on home Socks.  Or Strider.  PLEASE let it be Strider.  But, if not, then bring it on home Socks!!!!


No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...