Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Now what, Socks?

So, I have my answers about Strider.  Let me again express my sheer RELIEF about that.

I have ScootBoots on their way to outfit Dakini all the way around.  Let me express my relief about THAT too.

Now, what about Socks?

For the time being, Socks is going to go to my friend H's house to just hang out to relieve a minor financial burden that comes with, well, horses.  I can use the little bit of extra money I'll save to use towards shoeing Strider.

Once again Endurance teaches me that plans can change in a moment.  The season I thought was over with Strider is really just cranking up.  Dakini will now be able to truly focus on moving up the distances if I so desire. 

And, now it looks like I'm NOT chasing my 250LD patch this season as I thought I would be doing.

Instead, I can continue to do as I have enjoyed in the past.  Ride my 50's on Day 1 and then do my LD on Day 2.  So far, this formula makes me happy and I find it enjoyable.  It gives me the perfect mix of endurance distance where I'm hyper-focused on time and trail and goals on Day 1, and then Day 2, I can relax just a little bit and get on down the trail.

I'll earn that 250 mile patch soon enough.  And now with horses who have protected feet, it MAY go faster.

But, I'll be a little honest.

I do kind of regret not getting to experience any of this with Socks.  He is such a plucky fellow.  Always game for whatever nonsense I subject him to.  And, sure, he threw 'tude at me on Sunday.  I know that it's nothing regular riding won't fix if I'd just do it. 

But, I barely have enough time to keep 2 legged up and running.  And sure, I could get super serious and leg up all 3, but I can't transport all 3. 

So, my farrier will come next week, do his feet one last time before he goes to H's house, and then I'll run him up.  Where he can get fat and sassy and kind of do the "semi-retired" bit.  He'll enjoy it, and, soon enough, he can return home where I can get back to it once again.

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...