Friday, February 24, 2017

Measuring and ordering our "dancing shoes"...

So, due to the vicious rains we had on Sunday night (tornado warnings, 60 mph straight line winds, hail, etc...yeah, storms were BRUTAL Sunday night!), MM rescheduled her shoer to come do her horses. 

Which means my schedule to have Strider sized for his shoes ALSO got pushed to Wednesday.

Which was fine with me.  I had things to do around the house Monday (though beyond grocery shopping, don't ask me WHAT I did, because I think I pretty much managed to get a whole lotta nada done!).

And, fetching my horse out of a mud pit at the barn didn't exactly appeal to me.

So, on Wednesday after work I shot out to the barn, both to watch MM's shoer do her horses and to get measured.

Educational experience.  I honestly had never watched a shoe being put on a horse.  And MM's shoer is very patient (not that MM's horses are naughty) and fast and efficient. 

I had the foresight to print out the Ground Control measurement brochure, so we were able to measure according to that, and the shoer says 0's all around. 

I finally swallowed my nerves and asked him what it would cost.  $100 all around since I'm supplying the shoes.  Well then, so in mid-stream I changed my plan from just shoeing fronts to go ahead and do it all the way around.  The extra insurance on the backs won't hurt me.  And, might benefit us long-run.  So, 4 new shoes. 

So, almost as soon as I got to work on Thursday, I was on the Ground Control website (www.plastichorseshoes.com) and ordered 6. 

I have no idea if that was smart or not.  My thinking goes like this:
I'll be using the first 4 all brand new.  I'll carry the spares in my trailer in case something happens when I'm at ride camp.  Invariably I'm sure that if I lose one at a ride, I can find someone to reapply a shoe for me. 

And, if after an initial set and re-set, the fronts shoes will probably be worthless, so they'll get tossed.  But, the rears -might- last longer.  If I can get a set and 2 re-sets out of them, then, in THEORY that means that the 6 shoes I've ordered will last me through the end of May.

Which means I've now jinxed myself.

Now I'm neurotically watching the USPS site to track my new shoes!!!

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...