Friday, February 17, 2017

Marking time and rambling away...

This weekend I have plans.  Lots of plans.  BIGLY plans, even.

Saturday will be wrapped up in doing "car things".  My daily driver has been broken down since the end of December, so I've been gimping through by commuting with Joe, using Austin's car and driving the big ol' diesel truck.  Into downtown Austin.  And parking it in a parking garage.  Let me express to you just how much FUN -that- has been.  Nothing says "I can't wait to drive!" like trying to get your crew cab long bed into a tight parking spot!!  And change lanes.  And just generally try to get around. 

Frustrating.  So, suffice to say, I'm eagerly awaiting Sparky's return to my daily drive.  Plus, I can leave all of my tack in Sparky, whereas now, my tack just kind of floats from car to car, and I can never find what I need when I'm at the barn.  Nothing says "rage inducing" like being unable to find your hoof pick.  ANY of them.  I mean, I only have 3 (which I know isn't many, but I've had my pink Oster since I first got the horses...so we're talking 11 years now).

Anyway.

So Saturday will be vehicular junk.  Also potentially shifting Kaylee out of the master bedroom into Josh's room.  I would really prefer to get it painted before we move her in there, but Joe's insistent she get moved.  I dunno, I may still take the time on Saturday to go look at paint and buy the things we'll need to paint her room.  It's going to be tedious as currently those walls are a very dark green, and I'm planning on going for a lighter color in there. 

Sunday, if all goes according to plan, will be Socks' relocation date.  We'll finish the fence at H's.  And, if we can get it done fast enough, we'll haul over to Granger for a ride. 

And for Monday, since I don't have to go to work, my plan is to go out mid to late afternoon and ride and ride and ride.  MM's shoer is due out at 5 and I have a call in with him to figure out what size shoes I need to get ordered.  My trimmer said I should ask him as he'll know how much toe he'll be taking off and such so that will help me better gauge what size shoe I'll need.

And then, I schedule his shoe appointment. 

So, assuming I can get the stars to align for him, we'll set the date on March 4th as "Shoe Day". 

Tuesday of next week I'll get them ordered, which gives them ALMOST 2 weeks to arrive from Boerne (which is outside of San Antonio, so not that far from here).  Debating on ordering 3 pair just to have them in hand (and save on shipping).

Up next to research is pour ins for the, at least 1, rides.  So many questions about that too!!

Okay, okay...I admit it.  I'm ALMOST excited for the horse I'll have after shoes.  To see where we stand.  To be able to ride places I've never ridden before because I haven't had proper foot protection. 

Also, as a side note, my trimmer and I were talking about shoeing Strider, and I mentioned to her that I was excited about the places I can now go that I couldn't before.  And she said that she felt Dakini had the type of amazing foot that I could perhaps drop shoes on her if I knew I was going to, say, Big Bend or Palo Duro (both bucket list trail ride locations), and have them pulled afterwards, and she'd be back to normal in 2 or 3 trim cycles; nail holes gone and everything. 

I will say that little mare has some of the most amazing feet.  And, as my trimmer mentioned, "After fighting and struggling with Strider's feet for so long, isn't it nice to have one that's so low maintenance?"

Why yes.  Yes it is.

Heck, after 6 weeks (and 3 days) when my trimmer came out to do Dakini and Socks, she didn't even need to nip them at all; and I mean BOTH Dakini AND Socks!  Just rasp them a little bit.  So, while Socks is hanging at H's, I think I'll attempt to get out there and do it myself for 1 cycle, and then haul him to my trimmer's and have her do him (or send her pictures and see what she thinks).  I -NEED- to start doing that to Dakini's feet as well.  They didn't much change or lose much after this trim, so those Scoot Boots (once they get here, and I cannot WAIT for them to arrive!!!) should fit beautifully!! I'm not sure about balance on Dakini.  My trimmer said Socks is very good about keeping himself naturally balanced, but he does have a propensity for flares.

However, once I get the Scoot Boots in, I will do a thorough review on them.  Hoping that I'll have them for that first weekend of March!  Just so I can get them on her and go riding!!  Well, sooner would be ideal, but allowing for 2 weeks (and some change).  Shipping from Australia IS slow, which I will say is one draw back to these boots!  Unlike Renegades where you can have them in a matter of days, if you order direct from the manufacturer for Scoot Boots, make sure to allow for some time.

But, for ease of putting them on, so far Scoot Boots win HANDS DOWN!!!  3 straps per foot and you are DONE!!  Sure, while Renegades have 2 straps (pastern and toe), you have to futz with cables.  Don't pull the cables too tight, but don't leave them too loose either.  There needs to be SOME wiggle room, but not too much!!!  And don't tighten that pastern strap too tight either. 

I don't have time for that when I'm on an endurance ride.  I simply do NOT like dismounting unless it's necessary, or I just HAVE to stretch my legs.  So anytime I have to get off for a boot failure just irritates me to no end.

So, now we wait for our shoes and our boots.  And see what kind of horses we have for our next ride.

Current plan?

Shanghai Trails.  Strider is back on deck to attempt a back to back.  So far the only successful back to back we've had was High Roller 2016; back to back LDs.  While we attempted the 50/25 combo at Racing Stripes, we did all of the miles...and if it hadn't been for that pesky rock some time in the last 10 miles (or maybe it was sore soles?  My guess is sore soles now), we'd have done it.  As of yet, we are unsuccessful.  So Shanghai will be our attempt.

Unless he tells me he's too tired (he's never really told me that, except the first part of our first season together). 

So, Dakini (and her Scoots!) will be tagging along as insurance.

March 25th and 26th.  Strider and I will make our return to the trails we first did together as a team.

He and I have come a long ways together.  He's changed from casual trail horse to an official endurance horse.

I can't wait to have the side by side pictures.

Just as a point of reference, here we are at our first ride:
March 28, 2015
And here we are at Racing Stripes (Shanghai wasn't held last year due to the conflict with Easter weekend) on day 1 (our second 50 attempt).

April 10, 2016
Different horse, right?!

I do so love that boy!

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...