Monday, February 06, 2017

ScootBootin' Riding...

So, as I previously mentioned, I had an appointment Sunday for the ScootBoot fitter to swing by the barn and fit Socks and Dakini. 

I am so pleased I -FINALLY- got a fitter out to REALLY verify the size and talk it over with me.  She also made some good suggestions for some supplements and such.  And we talked some about the shoes I'm considering for Strider (more in another post about them), and she feels that the choice I'm making for the shoes I -WANT- to use will be the best choice I can make to get him through the season, cushion and stimulate that frog and not totally lose sight of the hope of making him a barefoot horse again. 

She also said that with some relief, I might be surprised at how much horse I have and how strong he'll be.  Well, that'll be....fun. 

Anyway, if just so it's written down somewhere so I can find it quickly:
Dakini up front wears 00s.  There will be a little bit of twist, but the fitter felt that with the trail gaiter that any sort of "play" will be taken up by them and they will fit and work perfectly.  Watching the boots go on her feet WITHOUT any of the straps in place, I am inclined to agree with her.

Dakini on the rear wears 000s. 

This girl has DAINTY ballerina slippers!

So, I swapped the pair my "Bishes" got me for my birthday to use on Strider and opted for a pair that will fit Dakini.  And then, I ordered a pair for her other feet.

So that when the order comes in, Dakini will have all 4 feet covered and protected.

Not going to lie, I'm kind of doing an internal happy dance that with these boots, I can go ride ANYWHERE I want to go and not worry about booting issues!

Now, we're going to try them out first at Rusty's to make sure we don't have issues, but I'm feeling very confident about these boots. 

Now, Socks.

On the front he wears a size 2 and on the rears, he wears a 0.

So, at least now I know! 

And I'm actually so very VERY excited to know that going forward, for my two primary riding horses, I will be doing everything I can to protect their feet and keep them going forward and happy and sound.

It is amazing how just having answers and a plan can take you from the dark depths of despair to, while not the highest mountain peak (because shoes=money and boots=money), at least I'm higher up than I was before.  And things aren't so grim.

So, after the fitting, I decided to pull Socks out for a ride. I could have sworn he was begging to get out and stretch his legs. 

Got him all tacked up and ready to go.

Now, mind you, there is a "Texas Off Road Championship Series" (dirt bikes, etc) on the shady side of the property FAR away from the horse pens.  So, I can't ride over there.  The bikes are loud and scary and revving and going.  And, well, I like living!!!

So, I was stuck riding the hillier side of the property by the horse pens.

Going out, Socks was a freight train at a trot. 

Then wanted to turn to the pens.  When told "No", he lept slightly off the ground, all four feet, with a squeal of complaint and tried it again.  And got told "No" again, where he repeated his antics.

Suffice to say, I won that battle, but ultimately, I feel like I lost the war.

He could hear Strider calling, so he'd call.  He kept trying to weasel back.  Duck out of water puddles without going through (he's always HATED getting his delicate tootsies moist!).  So, we got to the first big hill, I made him go through the water and walk up the hill.  He thought we were done.  Nope, turn around, go back down, do it again.

Repeat.  I believe we did about 8 hill sets, and the last two, he was cantering up instead of trotting.  But, I won't lie, my arms were getting sore and my fingers were aching and burning.  So, I finally called it enough on that hill and we kept on going. 

PRETTY sure my horse can piaffe.  He sure can lose his mind and flip out over a stick touching his belly and try to bolt.  Jackwagon.

We get to the long hill after I make him go through a small portion of "creek" a few times (dude, get used to getting those feet wet!) and we make another 4 sets before my arms just scream agony.

Sum total, only about 35 minutes in the saddle, but it was nice to remember what a little saint Dakini can be.  And it was a reminder that I can't just expect good and steady Socks to ALWAYS be the exact same horse I've put away.  Half tempted to get back out there soon and do it all again.

Except my saddle needs a good cleaning, as does the pad and girth.  And probably my sheepskin fleece cover.

Overall, Sunday was a good day.  Irritating moments, but nothing bad.

I kept the horse between myself and the ground.  It was a good day.

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...