Friday, March 03, 2017

Feed Spreadsheet


Feed Spreadsheet

So, many months ago now, I realized I had to feed my endurance horse better than just hay except for ride weekends.  He had lost his fat (reference a post a few back of him and I at our first ride and then at a ride a little over a year later), and he would drop weight after a hard ride and it was taking him longer than I was comfortable with to get back to a healthy weight again.

So, I put him on Nutrena's Performance feed and mixed in alfalfa pellets.  And he was putting on weight and he looked okay.

Then MM at the barn and I were talking about feed one day (I can't even remember why) and when she heard I was buying both she said "Why not switch him to the Nutrena ProForce Fuel?  It's more expensive per bag, but you can feed less.  And it's got the Omega 3 and 6, biotin and other good things!"

So, I looked it up, liked what I saw, and of course I like the idea of paying less per bag!!  So, I found a local store that will order it in for me, and I ordered up 4 bags.

But, in typical horse owner fashion, I had more input from other people.

And so there I found myself one day switching back and forth between screens trying to compare the guaranteed analysis of multiple types of feed and realized "Well, this is ridiculous!"

So, at first I just did a table in Word.

And then it started to grow.  And grow.  And grow some more.  So then I re-did it in Excel.  Then shared it with some friends who LOVED it.  But, one of them has her horses on a mix of a few different things, and so she asked me to add one of the things she's feeding.

Done and done.

Now, by no means is this comprehensive nor does it cover ALL types of feeds.  I also didn't do ALL of the variations of the different types of feed from each of the companies. 

But, this is either directly from a bag tag OR from the company's website.

The guaranteed analysis list is LONG because I hit every single field on every single type.  But, as you know, not every type has EVERY thing in it.  I've left those fields blank.

However, since Blogger doesn't play nice with Excel, I copied it over to my Google Drive, so I'm hoping against hope that this works!!  If you would prefer, I can also email you the Excel spreadsheet for your own use.

Is there a type of feed you'd like to see added?  Send me a screen shot of your bag tag, or a link to the company website where I can find the guaranteed analysis and I will get it added to the list!!

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...