Friday, March 10, 2017

Who can ride my horse(s)....?

So, The $900 Facebook Pony posted a blog hop, but couldn't remember where she saw it. 

Who Can Ride My Horse?

To quote her directly:  "...the premise was asking who can ride your horse - both ability wise and "allowed to" wise."

I rolled this around in my head and realized that my horses are really kind of the "whores" of the equine world.  I'll toss just about anyone up on any of them ASSUMING that they have a general knowledge of riding and aren't afraid of getting tossed off or falling off.  My horses aren't confidence builders by any stretch of the imagination.

Socks USED to be.  Then we did that LD together and he's been zoomy ever since.  The one time after that ride that I lead-lined him for my sister's grandkids, I was having to constantly pull on his halter because he wanted to go.  In his defense, he hadn't been ridden in who knows how long, and I pulled him out, tossed him in the round pen and did some basic fundamental ground work exercises with him (and to ATTEMPT to get any zoomys out).  STILL ended up with sore arms. 

The truth is just about anyone can hop on Socks or Dakini (when she's having a good day...Wednesday night showed me that the girl needs to stay in constant work or EVERYTHING is terrifying to her) and they just pull typical horse 'crap'.

Strider on the other hand, I've let people up in the saddle.  But always with the warnings that he is rude.  He bunny bucks.  All of those traits and quirks which make him uniquely "him".  They also all make him annoyingly "him" sometimes too.

Any of my girlfriends (B, H, L) can ride any of my horses anytime. 

H, in fact, has ridden all 3.

B has ridden Strider, and as mentioned further back, she put the first refresher ride on Dakini.  And, to my chagrin, it wasn't until just a few weeks ago that she finally saw Socks live and in the flesh while he was at H's house.  In typical fashion and like EVERYONE who meets him, she loved him.  I haven't had a single person tell me they didn't love him.  :)

L has a lovely mare who she prefers to ride along with a gaited gelding and another mare, so she hasn't needed to ride any of mine.

I've also loaned them out when a big group gets together and someone's horse is either sick, they can't haul or need a horse for a husband or a friend.  Usually that horse is Socks.

And, of course, I've allowed Joe to ride Strider.  Like once or twice.  He's ridden Dakini a few times as well as Socks.

So, the truth is, if you, yes you, reading this, are confident, or at least don't mind getting tossed off a horse, I'll allow you to ride any of mine.  It's not like you can screw them up.  They're not finessed nor really educated for much of anything except trail riding and go-faster trail riding.

Well, Dakini and Strider know the "Come Pick Me Up" cue, so there's that.

So, next time you're in the CenTx area and want to try out a glide ride Paso Fino, I have two you can choose from.

So feel free to come Ride my Horses.  :)

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...