Wednesday, March 15, 2017

In which we get our dancing shoes...FINALLY!!!

Well, we FINALLY got it done!!

We finally FINALLY got our dancing shoes applied.  Despite the drizzle and rain, we got it done!

I get to the barn at 8am, grab Strider out of his pen and wander over to the barn with the wash rack and hitching rail.  Tie him off and ignore him dancing around and being a general jackass as he occasionally calls for Dakini.  When he gets impatient as I switch grooming tools to clean him up.  When he thrashes with that left rear and tries to jerk it out of my hand.  So I hang on.  And hang on.  And hang on.  When he finally settles down for 10 seconds, I gently place it down on the ground.  Give him a pause and do it all over again.  Little bit better.

He had mud and dirt packed in all 4 feet and it was NOT willing to let go and fall out.  I at least wanted all 4 feet somewhat clean before the shoer showed up.

I finally managed to get all of that done, then I just kind of sat down and let him dance around for a bit. 

This is the "calmest" he was all morning long.
He got particularly frustrated/annoyed/anxious when the young lady who feeds on the weekends came and got the grain for all the horses while he stood there.  He wasn't allowed to have any, so he was being a larger jerk than normal as she drove off in the mule to go feed. 

I just retied him while he pawed and danced and made a general nuisance of himself.  And kept an eye on the clock.

As 9 am rolled around, I grabbed some gloves, rechecked the instructions, then went to give him the meds.

I was genuinely concerned about how I was going to get this syringe under his tongue, except I just stuck my thumb between his jaws, he opened his mouth wide, and with his tongue up, I just squirted it in.  Quick and easy!  He licked and licked and I could tell he didn't like it, but whatever.  The deed was done!

And then I stood back and waited.

While he pawed and pawed and continued to dance around.

The young lady who fed came back so we stood and chatted while Strider kept up with his antics.

15 minutes.  Still dancing.  Lots of shifting around.  In the back of my mind all I can think is "This isn't going to work!  What am I going to do?  The shoer isn't going to shoe him if this doesn't work!"  My anxiety is slowly starting to spiral while I'm trying to keep myself together while carrying on an innocuous conversation.

20 minutes.   He's not dancing anymore.  Now he's standing still.  Maybe this is going to work?

30 minutes.  Rear foot cocked.  He's looking a little sleepy.

35 minutes.  His head is drooping and resting on the hitching bar as his eyes close.  He's got that "drunk" look to him.  Swaying slightly. 

Drunk pony is tasting the color blue....
What a relief.  It worked!

Oh man...this is some gooooooooood stuff....
Shoer showed up a few minutes late (weather related...no big deal).

And we get to work.

Nip, nip, nip and get those crazily overgrown feet cleaned up.  What a relief to see that. 

Get the shoes out, they're too wide, so he just cuts some of the excess off, and we get to work.

No lies, when he set that first nail to the hoof, I had a moment of panic and almost said "No, wait...is this REALLY what I want to do?!"  Then the nail went in, and I was fully committed to this course of action.

4 nails to each side.  First foot was quickly done.

Then over to Strider's right side.  Again, quickly done.

Second shoe going on...anxiety level for owner..decreasing.

Fronts done!!!  Well, the shoer WILL remove the excess nails once all 4 feet are done!!

LOOK AT HOW BLUE!!!!

Rear left...well, Strider, even dopey Strider, is still a little titchy with those back feet.  So he wriggled a little bit.  And wriggled some on the left rear too.

And then, we were done.  All 4 dancing shoes applied and on! 

Mother, you have denied me food for near unto over 2 hours.  This torture can NOT be borne any longer!!

We did decide when I order the next set, go down a size for his rears.  No problem.  CAN DO!

I then turned him loose after a few minutes to make sure he really was steady on his feet (he was).

Now to wait a few days and then see what I have!

Front dancing shoes:

Rear dancing shoes:

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...