Thursday, May 12, 2016

Last day before the last day before Last Hoorah!

Sometimes, even leaving early, things just take longer than expected.  It happens.

I peeled out of work yesterday as close to 4 as I could.  I stopped at Callahan's for my bale of hay and then hurried as fast as I could out to the barn.  I did stop to get a drink (oh Sonic...you tempting minx!).  And between that, the electrolyting, the grocery shopping and all the driving, I still didn't get home until 7:45.  *sigh*  Why is that?!!

Grabbed Strider out of the field (he of course, once again had to remind me he is !INDEPENDENT! and ran off a few feet, then came back as I was loving on my Socks).  Decided I'd see how the Hoof Armor was on his feet.  I led him down the center aisle/road at the barn.  There's gravel and some rocks.  Nothing really intense, but he always Always ALWAYS asks to get off the road and into the grass.  Yesterday, he just walked calmly beside me down the road.  That's a good sign.  I even made him walk over the few patches where there's a few rocks, and he just walked over them, no big deal. 

Turned him around and we gaited back to the pen. 

So, whatever lameness we had at Racing Stripes is 100% resolved.

OH!!  We -do- think now it was a stone bruise.

Holly came out and trimmed both horses for me on Tuesday afternoon, and she said many things. 

Socks:  "Socks heel was really bruised, lots of thrush with abscessing at back of frog.  Looks to be healing now."  Now, this is a horse who usually has amazingly tough feet.  And I never really need to worry about them.  She feels, as do I, if I'd left Strider in the pen, his feet would be trashed and potentially unsound. 

Strider:  "Strider had a bruise on his front in his left front that I trimmed out.  Could've been his soreness issue.  He ran all over after I trimmed him.  Got his heels back as much as I could without putting his frog too close to the ground.  Rolled his toe back."

So, I do so hope that explains what happened at Racing Stripes.

Tonight is the final push to pack.

Groceries were bought last night. 

Tonight I load the camp tote, the cooler and non-perishables, the saddle, saddle stand and all that.  Wash my saddle cover tonight and let it drip dry tonight.  Pack my clothes and load that into the truck as well.  Toss the water tank in the truck. Get the car seat in the truck and, that's pretty much the last of it.  Grab the perishables tomorrow morning, run to the store and get ice, grab my horse (Socks will move on Sunday when I get home instead of Friday), stop and drop Kaylee off, and then boogie on up to Cleburn.

I'm still trying to quell my concerns.  I go from "This is no big deal" to "This is a VERY big deal" and every extreme in the middle.

I have someone helping me out with boots.  He has Hoof Armor on.  If between those two things he comes in lame, it wasn't for a lack of trying on my part!!  And just means next ride, I'll do glue-ons instead.

See you on the flipside!!! 

Get out and get your ride on!!!

#TeamStrider
#PasoPower

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...