Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Where I'm at...

I am simply the worst at updating.  Rather, I'm the worst at completing half-written posts. 

Every single ride I've done has the beginning write-up, just not everything else.

Basic run down for us so far?

2015 Ride Season

Shanghai Trails: LD (25 miles) on Strider
32nd place in 4:38 (out of 37 completions)

Spirit of Texas: LD (25 miles) on Strider
33rd place in 5:10 (out of 33 completions) - Turtle award winner!

Off Road Warrior: LD (25 miles) on Strider
Over Time

Armadillo: LD (30 miles) on Socks
47th place in 6:57 (out of 47 completions)
**NOTE: My vet card says over time and slight lameness.  I attempted to correct this, but suspect that the error happened due to my leaving that night and asking for my vet card.**

2016 Ride Season

River Run at Los Caminos Naturales: 50 miles on Strider
23rd place in 8:09 (out of 24 completions) - tied for Turtle award winner!

High Roller I: LD (25 miles) on Strider
30th place in 3:48 (out of 65 completions)
           LD (25 miles) on Strider (Josh up)
31st place in 3:48 (out of 65 completions)

High Roller II: LD (25 miles) on Strider
37th place in 4:45 (out of 37 completions)

Racing Stripes: 50 miles on Strider
40th place in 8:59 (out of 42 completions)

Racing Stripes: LD (25 miles) on Strider
Pulled Lame at mile 25
        LD (25 miles) on Socks (Korinne up)
19th place in 4:55 (out of 19 completions) - Turtle award winner!

Total mileage:
Strider - Limited Distance: 100 miles
    - Endurance: 100 miles

Socks - Limited Distance: 80 miles

Currently Strider is ranked #4 with the Paso Fino Horse Association with 130 points in Endurance.

Let me say what an amazing journey this has been with both of my horses.  To have taken a horse that really wasn't legged up to his first ride and to carefully manage him through it, while knowing NOTHING myself, just fumbling through and telling anyone when I was in camp "This is my first time!!!" to hauling to ride camp myself, setting up, having prepared my horse for the weeks leading up, doing my electrolyte protocols leading up to camp, knowing what needs to be done and getting it done, and then getting out on trail....it's a wonderful feeling.

To meeting people and riding out with them on trail, setting up a ride plan and then sticking to it...it's a wonderful feeling!!

To going to the out-timer, calling out your number and being told "Someone else gave me your number, but I knew it wasn't you Erin!" was honestly...it was a good feeling.  If someone who only sees me a few times at each ride, but knew, at least in passing, who I was...it felt like I am maybe...MAYBE...starting to be a part of the bigger picture. 

Not that I wasn't at my first ride.  That Lynne was so sweet and kind to me, a complete stranger, who hauled me and my horse, shared her knowledge and coached me through...it was a wonderful feeling.

And at each ride, I meet new people, and make new friends who I only see at ride camp, and potentially interact with online.

But most of all, watching Strider really bloom and grow as a horse.  He's turned in to a solid partner.  With quirks.  But I know he'll cross water.  Cross bridges.  Cattle don't bother him.  New places delight him.  And he will work his butt off for me if I ask.  He's become a fun casual trail horse and a pleasure to take to ride camp.  Mostly.  Unless Socks is there and Socks is at the trailer.  Then he's an asshole.  And I kinda hate him.

But he's gone from this fat, overweight horse, to a lean and trimmed down horse.  He's not a fire-breathing dragon at the start of a ride.  He has energy, but he's not uncontrollable.  For which I am thankful. 

I've learned that 50 miles isn't really as hard as I first thought.  My first 50 was shorter, time-wise, than my second 50, but I hurt less after my second 50.  And I've realized that, for now...we're moving up the distance.  Unless something dictates we drop back to LDs, we're staying at 50s.  He's starting to understand the game better.  So am I.  My current plan, as it stands, is to stay at 50s for a year or two.  Then bump to try a 75. 

The fact is I know Strider has it in him to manage 75 miles.  He, in fact, DID do 75 miles the weekend of Racing Stripes.  He did ALL 75 miles, only to come up lame at the final vet check.  He found a rock with his name on it, or just the hard percussion of gaiting on a hard-pack road did it to him.  I will admit I was upset to begin with.  For my valiant pony to have done it ALL and not earn his completion felt bitterly unfair.  Except, that's the name of the game.  Shit happens out there.  And it's not like he didn't actually DO the mileage, he just wasn't fit to continue. 

So after I calmed down a bit, I realized that.  I couldn't have done anything differently, nor could he.  It happens to everyone at some point.  This was his.  So we learned something.  I learned he has 75 miles in him.  If we can just avoid the rocks or hard roads.

So next weekend, we're off to try another 50.  Just Strider and I.  We're going to pair up with the team we did the 50 at Racing Stripes with and a friend of hers.  I'm expecting good things!!  I'm dialing in my tack and right now the saddle and pad I'm borrowing are working well.  I'm going to try some new electrolytes out on the trail along with some carrots (natural e-lytes!) to keep him peppy and going strong.  Waiting on the rear Renegades I ordered to come in.  I do so hope they'll be here before this weekend.  I wanted to try a good, long ride in them to make sure they'll stay on and work for us next weekend.

So, here's to more adventures, and new adventures and new trails and new and old friends alike!!

#TeamStrider
#TeamSocks
#PasoPower

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...