Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Countdown to Ride Camp...

Every day this week has a purpose to lead me to Saturday's ride.

Monday was preparing the trailer and cleaning up as much of my tack as I could.  3 cinches loaded and ready.  My riding boots/shoes tossed into the washing machine and cleaned up.  The 3 Renegade boots I have, cleaned up and tossed into the trailer along with the spare parts that comes with them.  Another Renegade on order and on it's way for his rears.  And a deal worked out with a friend to buy her 4 Renegades so I'll have plenty of spares in multiple colors for his 4 feet.  AND someone at ride camp who is going to help me fit all of them. 

Tuesday was spent scrambling after work.  Raced home, grabbed the truck and trailer, grabbed Kaylee and hustled to the barn.  Tossed Strider into the trailer (he'll follow you in now, no big deal...it STILL amazes me how far he's come in the past year) and hurried to Holly's.  She and Douglas applied Hoof Armor to all 4 feet and then we stood around in the arena and let it dry for about an hour.  Tossed him BACK in the trailer and then hurried him back to Rusty's.  I THOUGHT I had my Enduramax electrolytes in the trailer (technically, I did, but I wasn't thinking [I had 2 ziplock baggies of white power {LOL e-lytes!} in my tack trunk for holds]).  When all I could find was the cheap Dumore apple electrolyte power (just not enough for an endurance horse), I sacrificed some of my DynaSpark to a bucket and tossed a little bit of grain in there to make it easier for him to consume.

If you want to see a horse literally LICKING the bottom of a bucket, try DynaSpark.  He NEVER does that.  But he did last night.  Electrolytes given in less than 5 minutes. 

Hurried home and got there around 10. 

Wednesday (today) will be a fast trip to the barn for the syringed Enduramax electrolytes.  I'll probably also go ahead and stop by Callahan's to get the really NICE bale of hay (that will give me 2 bales) on my way to the barn.  After electrolytes are done, it's off to WalMart to get groceries (got to make my shopping list!!  ACK!).  When I get home, put non-perishables into the cooler and load it AND my camp tote AND the 2nd bale of hay into the trailer.  Also put my water tank into the truck.  Try and pack my clothes if at all possible tonight (or at least make sure everything is washed). 

Thursday (tomorrow) will be a fast trip to the barn for another dose of electrolytes and then straight home where I will (weather permitting!) load the saddle into the trailer.  I will be washing my saddle cover Thursday evening as soon as I get home and it will then have a chance to drip dry all day Friday.  It's a fast to toss onto the saddle sort of thing, so even if I need to get up a little early Saturday morning to get it onto the saddle, no big deal!  Hopefully it won't be too humid, or else I guess my butt will be a little wet Saturday morning (evaporative effect?).

Friday will be load the pillows into the truck perishables into the coolers, stop and get ice and then get the horses and GO!! 

I say horses, but I'll be loading Socks, only to stop in Hutto and leave him with Heather.  I'll pick up Dakini on my way home Sunday. 

The process of packing is MUCH easier when the trailer is at the house.  Usually I'm throwing things into the truck, but this time, I can put them into the trailer and the truck won't be stuffed to the gills with things!!

Hey, it's the little things that make me happy.  :)

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...