Tuesday, January 03, 2017

How we doin' 2017?

Well, we're alright.  Not great, but we're alright.

New Year's Day was spent at the barn for about 2 hours with my farrier doing feet on all the kids.  Mildly surprised as we have mild thrush in all 3 horses.  Just a little bit on the fronts.  Easily enough dealt with.

Also had some stomach issues with Socks and a milder version with Dakini.  Could be anything from a new hay source (don't think so as my barn owner prides himself on always buying from the same person) to stress from the frequent weather changes to fireworks being shot off on New Year's Eve (a far more likely culprit as it was about 6 or 7 years ago that Socks colic'd on New Year's Eve when I was boarding with my farrier...due to...weather and fireworks).

Unsurprisingly enough, Strider's feet got away from me, so we're back to rasping toe and pushing it back so we can then focus on lowering the heel.  He's also fixing to shed off a LOT of sole, and I know that will come once I start riding him more frequently.

On the upside, Strider remained amazingly balanced, as did Socks (who managed to wear his feet nicely). 

Dakini wasn't quite as nicely behaved as normal; little thrashy.  Not sure if it was the fact she got fly sprayed before the trim (we've never done it before, but the flies were BAD.  Hello January in Texas where it's in the upper 60's on New Year's Day).  Or if she was still wound up from fireworks or whatever had her stomach upset.  Or who knows.

I had my farrier check the saddles for me.  The Imus 4Beat continues to be the best thing for BOTH of them.  The CTK was a 100% no go for either of them.

My farrier also thinks it's entirely possible for me to get Dakini up and running for 50's with some hill work or backing and some trot poles. 

She pointed out that my two Pasos are, physically, polar opposites of each other.

Strider has a very strong back end.  Dakini has a very strong front end.  Shame I can't just stitch those parts together! 

However, I think once Dakini's butt is strengthened, she's going to be a powerhouse. 

I also suspect the reason her front end is so strong is that she's fino bred.  So her sire had lots of power in that front end for that sewing machine action. 

Suffice to say, it was a nice way to spend New Year's day, with the 3 kids in the glorious sunshine just loving on them.

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...