Thursday, January 05, 2017

Monday Ride at Granger Lake....

How did my ride on Monday go?  Did I -finally- manage to execute the grand plan and get two ridden in one day?

No.  No I did not.

At about 5:30 am I was wrenched awake by the banging and crashing of hail.  Now, I knew it was coming.  For ONCE the weather people we right.  So, it wasn't unexpected, but mildly disappointing as I was hoping that the footing would remain dry, but...take what you can get and be grateful for the experience, right?

So, I laid there listening to the rain once the hail finished banging away.  Thankfully, it too didn't last for very long.  But I didn't roll out of bed until about 6:30ish and still had to get the kiddo to the babysitter's.

At 7:15ish we're loaded and on the road.  Which means I arrive at the barn around 8 once I stop for my traditional ride breakfast; 2 hash browns and a medium Coke from McDonald's.  It is disgusting and gross, and I love it.  TOTALLY justified as I'll be riding all of that fat off, right?  Or so I lie to myself each and every time.

Hook up to Red Draggin' (my trailer), realize it's so freaking WET at the barn that I don't dare drive over to the pens to load.  Best to go catch the ponies and walk them to the trailer.

As par normal, their pen is muddy and gross.  If I could keep them off the front, I'd toss some grass seed, but...I can't, so I guess I'll just hike through the muck to get them.

Now, can someone tell me why on earth, if you see someone attempting to load TWO horses, why you would choose THAT MOMENT to let your dogs out to go run over and start barking at the horses?  Now, these are barn dogs, but come on now!! 

Dakini, who usually loads in less than 2 minutes (she's dainty, has to sniff the trailer every time, put a foot in, think she's gonna die, back up, be told "No, we're doing this thing" and then hops in) took closer to 5 minutes because of that dog walking around barking. 

Strider's on the brink of self-loading.  I no longer have to loop a lead rope through, I can lead him up, grab the clip of the lead rope, keep his head pointed forward and click him in.  Now he ALWAYS has to yo-yo once.  In, back all the way off, then on the second shot, he stays completely in.  I don't know what that's all about, but, from taking 30 minutes and 2 people to get him into a trailer to this?  I'll take it.

But with the dog barking?  Took a few extra minutes of coaxing, and I actually had to shake the end of the lead rope to get him to load.  I was pretty ticked.

On the fly, we turned it into a BBQ and lunch kind of trip, which meant I had to stop for stuff.  One, I needed to hit up Tractor Supply for some Probiotic treats for the horses and some stuff for the mild thrush.  Two, needed snacks for our BBQ lunch.

Suffice to say, I didn't get to the trailhead until about 10:30.  Oh well.

I arrived just a few minutes before B and her mom, so offloaded the horses, tossed Strider into a pen and hooked up Dakini to ride.

H and her family rolled up about 20 minutes later, so we all slapped saddles on horses and headed out.

Now, as compared to last time when it was H on Blondie and Dakini and I, Dakini never uttered a peep about leaving Strider behind.

THIS time though, she cried out for him.  Was compliant, but wouldn't shut up.  Annoying.

We went out, looped back by camp and continued on.  Came back to camp, piddled around some (letting them drink, etc), then went back out again.  She would cry, but would continue down the trail for me.  I suppose if the WORST thing I have to deal with is her being a whiney brat, I can survive. 

Once again, she did quite well, but she CAN be a faker.  She kept trying to convince me that she was DEFINATELY tired, and for a while, I gave in to that.  Until I would ask for her to go, and away she'd charge.  Liar.  LOL!  And she had fun doing it.  Minus that one side-spook because of the bird, she happily cantered down the trail just leading the group and leaving everyone else behind.  Kind of proud of that little girl.

Except that she briefly forgot I was on her and started to lay down.  I was like "Are you KIDDING ME?!  ANOTHER horse who lays down with a rider on their back?!!!!" 

H pointed out that she's noticed lately when I go to ride, I'm not grabbing Strider, I'm grabbing Dakini.  I was like "Pffft, no I'm NOT!"

"Yes, actually.  Yes you are."

She's right.

I rode with L and her mare Dolly. I took Dakini.

At Granger last time with H?  I rode Dakini.

And again at Granger. Dakini.

Now, in the middle of all of that, I did another trip to Granger and only rode Strider.  And had a quick and FUN ride with him.  But it was him ping-ponging down the trail.  Bunny bucking his annoyance.  Turn him around towards camp and he'd want to blast off to get back to Socks.  So I'd make him go past.  And go back out.  Come back and go past.  Over and over and over again. 

I will say this; if the "problem" that I have is I have two FUN, albeit two very DIFFERENT horses, to choose to ride, and a third horse who is sweet as sugar candy but with a jackhammer of a trot but who will dump his heart out in your lap if you but ask it of him...well...I am a woman blessed beyond measure with my horses.  May I always have such "problems" for the rest of my entire life.

Overall, it was a great and fun ride.  And, I got B to realize her mustang could indeed be an endurance horse.  So, after giving her my endurance books to read, she's excited to be joining me on the trails this year.  And I'm excited for her!! 

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...