Friday, January 27, 2017

New plans ahead....

I am starting to wonder about the insanity which drives me.

As my main ride deals with a suspensory issue, my mind turns to the other two. 

The little gray mare, I think has the capability of becoming a 50 mile horse.  I really REALLY do.  It's going to require consistent work and riding and pushing her a little bit harder, but, I think we can achieve it.  Maybe even as soon as Armadillo Run this October.  Or perhaps in April.  My original goal was at the end of March, and, MAYBE I can.  But, now I think I'd rather play it safe.

And my mind then also turns to the bay Arab.  He is, easily, an LD horse.  He can, has and WILL do LDs without a qualm.  Could he be brought along to be a 50 horse?  Is it to much to ask of an almost 19 year old horse to leg up and be truly fit?  Or, should I leave him alone and keep him for my LDs? 

Can -my- body be trained to do 50 miles on a trotter? 

How old is "to old" for endurance?  Especially one that just has a few LDs under his cinch? 

I mean, I know I'll never know until I pull him out and begin the legging up process.  And, due to just his natural athleticism, he'll do fine at LDs (he always has).  He has that beautifully thick bone.  Nice, large feet.  And a passion (now) for chugging down the trails.

So, it appears that I'll at least be doing back to back LDs for the rest of the season here.  And potentially earning my 250 LD mile patch.

Once again, endurance teaches me that no matter what our plans and dreams ARE, we need to learn flexibility and how to roll with the punches.  It will also teach me that I need to NEVER say how many miles I am seeking to earn for a particular ride season.  Because, invariably, I won't. 

But, instead, maybe I'll earn 175 LD miles this season.  And that wouldn't be so bad! 

Actually, that's how many miles I racked up last year!  So, guess it's time to simply re-think the plan and move forward with it.

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...