Tuesday, December 16, 2014

'Tis the season

Every year at this time, it's customary to think of those who are less fortunate.

While we don't exactly live in the lap of luxury, neither do we have it as badly as others in our community, never mind how the 3rd world countries are.

Hands down, we are fortunate as a family.  Not as fortunate as others, but still pretty blessed.

So, at this time of year, I always try to send money to at least one, sometimes more, organizations that help those in need.

One of my favorite charitable organizations is Heifer International.



I've given to them a few times, usually buying a flock of ducks, or honeybees.  My goal is to someday purchase a llama, but that's down the road a little bit. 

If you're unfamiliar with Heifer here's who they are and what they do:
Heifer International's mission is to work with communities to end world hunger and poverty and to care for the Earth.

How it Works

We empower families to turn hunger and poverty into hope and prosperity – but our approach is more than just giving them a handout. Heifer links communities and helps bring sustainable agriculture and commerce to areas with a long history of poverty. Our animals provide partners with both food and reliable income, as agricultural products such as milk, eggs and honey can be traded or sold at market.

When many families gain this new sustainable income, it brings new opportunities for building schools, creating agricultural cooperatives, forming community savings and funding small businesses.



Passing on the Gift

The core of our model is Passing on the Gift. This means families share the training they receive, and pass on the first female offspring of their livestock to another family. This extends the impact of the original gift, allowing a once impoverished family to become donors and full participants in improving their communities.


Heifer does more than just animals; they reach out through a variety of ways.  Women's empowerment, clean water, veterinary care and more.  It's an organization that, whenever I donate, I spend a few days imagining the positive change I've helped start for a family, and for their community.  All for the cost of a meal here in the US. 

Closer to home, and only around the holidays, I give to a local radio station's fund raiser:
JB and Sandy's Bikes for Kids


What I love is that this is a long-time Austin area fund raiser.  It gives children who otherwise might get nothing for Christmas a brand new bike, helmet and a lock.  Not a used bike, but a brand, spanking new one that isn't a hand-me-down.  And the cost of the bike/helmet/lock all together?  Only $190.  Granted, I can't afford the whole kit, but I always give some and know that on Christmas Day, I've made a difference to a child in my own community.  I've given them, not just a gift for one day, but a gift that will give for the rest of their lives.  A gift that leads to independence and freedom and a sense of normalcy, like other children.  A bike is such a huge milestone in a child's life, and I love being able to say I've helped, even if it's in some small way.

Every year I wish I had more money so I could give it to the organizations that have mission statements I can get behind.  Be they local or international, making a difference to someone who needs the help makes me feel so good.

What are some of your favorite charities?  I'm always looking for organizations to donate too, as I love to share and help, not just my fellow man, but animals as well.  So, animal charities are worth telling me about too!

And, if you'll take just a moment during this holiday season, dig through your wallet, see if you don't have just $20 to share.  Drop it in to a Salvation Army bucket.  Snag a tag off an Angel Tree.  Buy a gift and leave it in gift barrel.  Find a local family and sponsor them.  But please, pay your good fortune forward to someone else who may be in a situation that is unfortunate.  Your gift could make a difference and truly lift them up.

And for my Jewish friends as today is the first day of Hanukkah:
As you celebrate the Festival of Lights, may your home be bright with happiness and love. Best Wishes at Hanukkah!

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...