Monday, May 01, 2017

"But did you DIE though?"

Took Strider out again last night for a ride.  I cannot explain why, but he was more spooky than normal.  Usually he moves on down the trail, and I may get a spook out of him.  Usually though, because these are his "home trails" he just chugs along, going as fast as he possibly can, because he knows that the quicker we get done with "whatever", the sooner he can get back to his pen.

So, we set out on our usual route as I noticed the gate was open to the Pecan Grove, but the gate leading to the upper part of the property was closed.  So, we set off, and today, as compared to last time, he was good to walk and wasn't insisting on gaiting out.  Okay, so our mind is back in that regard.  Great!!

We ping ponged down the trail, because, straight lines are anathema, apparently. 

He got "scared" by the large tank we have to go by to pass into the Pecan Grove.  I have NO IDEA why this large metal tank terrifies him.  I have a photo of him DRINKING from it before we boarded here.  But now, I cannot get him to step anywhere NEAR it.  What gives horse?!!

So, we're going along down the trail, and "OMG!!  STUMP!!!!"  *cue dramatic side-spook*

Get moving again and "OMG! THAT LEAF FLUTTERED!!!!" *cue a front-end drop and snort*

Looping around on a trail near a stock tank and a fish or a frog makes a splash and...can you even hazard a guess?

"OMG WE'RE GONNA DIE RIGHT NOW LET ME RUN LET ME RUN LET ME RUN!!!!" *cue an attempt to do a 180 degree spin*

Whatever.  I wished I'd remembered to put his heart rate monitor on him, just to see how high he spiked, but...whatever, we didn't die.

I will say, I had some kind of "premonition" as we headed out.  "Pretty sure we're gonna see a snake today.  Weather is their type of weather.  Ground is warm.  Sun is out.  Gonna keep my eyes peeled."

And, sure enough, as we're moving along down the trail, I see a smallish one slither across the trail and into the grass.

I also notice...it's a young copperhead.  I make sure to keep myself loose in the saddle to avoid telegraphing my own fear. 

Oddly enough, the snake is the ONE truly scary thing he didn't snort, freak out, or spook about.

I did my best to avoid that section of trail for the rest of the ride though.  Ugh.

No photos from the ride, but we covered almost 6 miles in less than an hour, so, once we get our shoes set on, I'm feeling confident that we'll turtle Last Hoorah! (Barring, of course, any unforeseen circumstances!)

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...