Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Well, that went smoothly....or "How easy was that?! Almost TOO easy."

So, while I have a few hiccups to work out with frozen beet pulp (namely, getting it out of the freezer with enough time for it to thaw when I get to the barn), overall I would say the beet pulp/grain smush is a success!  As is the kaolin pectin/enduramax mix.

As I left work, I grabbed my 2 baggies of beet pulp and my Rubbermaid container of electrolytes and headed out.  Threw the baggies into the bed of the truck in the hopes any sun might help melt and thaw the ice.

Well, since there was a massive clap of thunder as I exited the building at work and a few scattered sprinkles as I drove to the barn, guess how well THAT plan worked?  *sigh* 

Pull into the barn, change into my barn clothes, and into Strider's bucket goes a scoop of his grain and his hoof supplement.  And into Dakini's bucket, just a single scoop of grain.

I had texted the gentleman who feeds the horses to please skip the afternoon feed this week for my horse as I'd be taking care of it this week.  So, when I pulled up to the pen, Strider assumed (correctly) I was there to stuff his face with food.

Now, lately I've been having some issues catching Dakini.  So, I put Socks and Strider into the feeding pen in an attempt to catch Dakini.

After having her scramble away from me 4 different times, I left the halter on the fence and with just the rope wandered around.  I would weave, pause, look at ANYTHING but her.  Made sure to keep my energy low.  Get near her and then leave (as long as she stood still and didn't move her feet).  Go up, pet Strider, and then repeat the process, getting closer and closer to her.

After about the 3rd time, I was able to step up to her and pet her without her moving her feet.  Retreat again, go pet Strider.  And weave my way back to her.  Repeat.  Retreat. 

I did this a few times until I finally looped the lead rope around her neck and led her to the front of the pen, haltered her and lead her out.

I got this feeling from her when I did that of "Dammit, I've been fooled.  Now I'm going to have to work."

So, I'd had her bucket soaking in water and the massive frozen chunk of beet pulp.  Poured some water over it, which helped to thaw some of the ice.  Spent about 5 minutes breaking it up.  Honestly, I think on a hot day, a frozen beet pulp/grain smush would probably taste divine to a horse.

Time for the electrolytes! 

I actually LOVE this blend.  It's smooth and flows easily AND doesn't gunk up my syringe like the applesauce/enduramax blend does.  Neither was super impressed, but, I got it done. 

Haltered and tied Socks off (so he wouldn't try and steal food) and then gave them both their buckets.

Dakini DIVED into hers and wolfed it down like a champ.  And THEN she licked the bucket CLEAN!!

Now, I hadn't gotten ALL of her beet pulp melted and into her original smush (maybe 2 or 3 handfuls didn't make it in there?), so I tossed some water on it and put just straight beet pulp in front of her, which she worked on with a little less gusto, but still ate a good quantity of.  I swear, she makes a better endurance horse than Strider does.  EDPP on trail and devours anything I put in front of her.  Really need to start working her up the distances as I'd planned.  And then find a light or middleweight rider to pilot her.

Strider actually seemed to enjoy this combo with beet pulp in as compared to times in the past where he wouldn't eat if I dared foul his grain with beet pulp.  I'm not sure if the rinsing helped (just seeing the amount of grit and dirt that comes off my SpeediBeet, that would perhaps explain his disdain for the regular beet pulp that I didn't rinse, just soaked) or if it was because he wanted to clear his palate of the electrolytes (I didn't rinse their mouths, just put their smush in front of them almost immediately).  Either way, he didn't leave much smush in his bucket.  What little was left I gave to Socks.  And what little was left of Dakini's beet pulp he also got.

My overall impressions were that if it's always this way, I'm VERY happy with the end result.  Both horses ate very well (truth be told, in one sitting, that was an entire DAYS worth of beet pulp, which they recommend be stretched out into 2 or 3 feedings; so I anticipated there being some left) and both horses took their electrolytes pretty well.

After I was done at the barn, I headed home and got started up on making up more baggies of frozen beet pulp.

I'm planning on taking 10 servings of beet pulp with me for this weekend, broken up.

I've broken down the current 1 gallon baggies I'm taking to the barn into 3 quart sized baggies.  So, I'll be stretching out a single day's (actually, he'll be getting more than a single day's feeding) and then some over the course of one day.

1 stepping on the trailer.
1 at a stop.
1 when he gets off the trailer.
1 as a late afternoon meal.
1 as a bedtime meal.
At holds.
Post-ride.
1 stepping on the trailer.
1 at a stop.

So, with all of that in mind, I got to serious work last night.  And got 24 quart sized baggies ready and labeled (1/3, 2/3, 3/3) and tossed them into the freezer last night.  I got started at about quarter to 8 and wrapped up around 10:30 or so.  Grateful that this SpeediBeet soaks so quickly!!

While soaking and rinsing, I quickly, again, made up today's batch of electrolytes and tossed it into the fridge.  I'm not sure I need to refrigerate it, but, no harm in doing it, right?

Had a mild freak out that I should just keep working on rinsing and prepping since, in about 2 weeks after I get home, I'll need to have prepped enough beet pulp to run 2 on.  And then I'll literally have 2 nights to wash and clean everything and get repacked to head out again and maintain 2.  Might as well just rinse and prep this entire bag of beet pulp!  And, while I'm at it, go ahead and order more kaolin pectin since each horse is getting about 8-9 oz of it a day right now to pre-load.  And I'll be going through it quickly and won't have the time to wait for it.  Also should just go ahead and order more Enduramax too.  Because it would be AWFUL to run out.  And, while I'm not running dangerously low, I think it'll go pretty quick.

Actually...*scampers off and just orders off Amazon*  Done and done!!  One less thing to fret over.

Tonight Strider's shoes and pads go on.  I had laid out my jeans and sneakers to wear to the barn; and then realized I left them at home when I was halfway to work.  ARGH!!  Thankfully I keep a pair of sneakers in my desk at work, so I'll dart into Dollar General and look for a pair of pants and a shirt I can wear to the barn tonight.

Glad his feet are getting done.  We've got some ugly toes and chipping happening.  So, hoping that this shoeing goes well for him.  I need them to last through this trim cycle.  Douglas is free to pull them off when Strider shows up for training, but I need at LEAST a GOOD 4 weeks out of them.

T-Minus 2 days.

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...