Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Dakini in her Scoot Boots; Round 3

So, there was a fundraising trail ride at the barn on Saturday.  How could I NOT go?  I mean, I didn't need to haul ANYWHERE, some friends were going to be coming, and Joe was able to join in the fun.

Took it as a chance to continue to test out my Scoot Boots.


And as such, you're warned, PHOTO HEAVY POST!!!

This ride, we had some bobbles, but I will, currently, say that the bobbles I had were 100% user error on my part!  Having it in my head to keep the pastern straps loose, I made them as LOOSE as possible, and I feel this was the issue.

Anyway, I popped them all on, no problems.  I do love how much easier these are to get on.

Front view.  Notice (if you're able) how loose I have those pastern straps!)
Rear view of front boots.  From this angle I feel you're better able to see how LOOSE the straps on.  But seated well on her feet.
Rear front view of boots.  Those are the exact same wraps as I used last time.  They washed up VERY clean with JUST water. Notice that they straps don't appear QUITE as loose DUE to the wraps?
Rear view of rear feet.  I will say that I feel that right boot is off center (obviously).  It DID end up twisting later (like 180 degree twist), but didn't seem to cause her an issue.  Pulled it off, popped it back on, no big deal for her.
After a little bit of excitement (fellow Paso Fino rider's mare took off and ran off the property.  THANKFULLY she was quickly recovered and didn't seem to suffer any ill effects!), we all saddled up and headed out.

Strider and Dakini were happy to go.  Dakini actually didn't pitch a fit about her boots (I think having Strider there helped) and she set a nice and snappy leading pace for a while.  VERY proud of the little girl!!

There's even a brief video where you can hear me whooping for Strider to "GO STRIDER GO!" while he and Joe tore up the trail, and then Dakini and I are behind them, as more of the group comes along.


Now, while out on trail, I had, at different points, both of Dakini's front boots come off.  Remember when I mentioned that front pastern strap was too loose?  PRETTY sure that's the culprit, but not 100% just as of yet.

So, the first one came off in a puddle (THANKFULLY at the end as we were exiting so it was easy to find!).  I quick swished it off, popped it back on, tightened it and got back on my horse and kept on going.

We looped around and around, and I made her go through another puddle, where the OTHER front one came off as she went in. 

Ugh.  So, quick swished it off, popped it back on and tightened up all her others.

That one that was slightly twisted I mentioned HAD done almost a 180 turn, so I removed it, popped it back on and she was fine for the rest of the ride.

I believe we covered about 7 miles in an hour and 45 minutes (give or take).

Took the horses back to their pen, stripped tack and left them tied in case we decided to ride after lunch and a cold beer.  No big deal.

However, as we were eating, someone mentioned a line of storms was coming, so that kind of broke up the fun.

Not that I was complaining.  We were SUPPOSED to get rain and scattered thunderstorms all day.  Instead the day was hot, sunny with a good breeze.  PERFECT riding weather!!!

So, with that in mind, I went to go remove her boots and put her and Strider away.

As you have surmised, I'm sure, yes, she had some rubs.  But really ONLY on her front two feet.  Now, most of where we ride is sandy at this property, and those puddles are sandy muck.  So I suspect that's what irritated her.

Anyway, post ride feetie pictures!!!

Both front feet, front view.
Right front, rear view.


Right front, rear view.
Rear feet, front.
Off-center shot of the rear left.
And now, the removal of the boots.

FRONTS FIRST!

Straps all undone.
Left front off.  Some hair scuffing that I initially noticed.
Much more visible here.  Left side of left foot.  That is, indeed, a raw and sore spot.
Left front, right side.  Little less visible owwie here.
The rocks weren't in there for the ride; it's because the alley is a little gravelly.  I just thought this was cool though how you could see the impression from the inside of the Scoot Boots in the filth in her foot.
Rub is more visible here.  *sigh*
Moving to the Right Front.

You can see where the hair got all scuffed up.

Moving to the rears!


Left rear first.



Right rear now.


And, since you've made it through all of that, how about some full body shots of Strider and Dakini?


And of course...Strider.


"Hey, Dakini, get outta my picture!  My adoring public needs to see MY face!"
Make sure you got a picture of my good side, ok?

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...