Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Dedication and Goals - 2017

"It was instrumental in helping me to achieve my goals.  I’m a 100 mile rider with 1,000 competition miles.  I’m very proud of this fact – I consider this one of my most prized accomplishments of my life – even considering getting into the UC Davis vetmed program.  I could not have done this without blogging – both for the support I received, the connections I made with other blogs and groups, and how it FORCED me to critically evaluate my program and plans."

Mel (over at melnewton.com) posted the above back in October of 2011.

What can I say?  I -did- say that I like to go back to post 1 of every blog I read and work my way through them, didn't I? 

As you're well aware, I have this blog.  I love writing.  And I love being able to review what I have and haven't done successfully.  But I have NOT made it a priority to write for my blog. 

But, I have goals.  I have LOTS of endurance goals.

My 2017 goal?

Get Strider -AND- Dakini BOTH prepared AND qualified to compete at the PFHA National Endurance ride to be held in Idaho (at the Teeter Ranch) in October.  To get this done, I need only get both horses through 2 50 mile rides each.  Not an unattainable goal, just a tricky one.

Compounded by the fact that my funds are always tight and vacation time even more so. 

But, this isn't impossible.  This is completely doable if I'm careful.

So, there's my 2017 goal.

First up.

January 21/22.

Strider is poised to do a 50 on the 21st, making it year 2 towards our Decade Team goal.  This is my long-term and most important goal and the one I want more than any other goal. 

Strider and Dakini are poised to do an LD on the 22nd.  Strider will ONLY go if he's still bright eyed and bushy tailed that morning.  And assuming I have a rider for Dakini.  If not, Strider stays behind, Dakini goes out.  I will say though, after last year's River Run, Strider was still full of energy and go on Sunday morning. 

From then until the end of March, it's lots and lots of ponying for either Strider or Dakini.  Once or twice a week, even if I'm only doing laps in the arena.  I'm currently evaluating my calendar, gauging it, assessing my time, and knowing that I -MUST- commit myself to at a MINIMUM of 1 night a week out at the barn (preferably 2) and 1 weekend day to riding.  Ponying and riding. 

March 25/26.

Strider AND Dakini are going to be signed up to do a 50 at Shanghai Trails.  This will be Strider and I's first return back to the trails we first rode in 2015 at our first LD.  I'm so very much looking forward to it.  I have a rider signed up for Dakini for that weekend.  The ride is flat and typically "fast", so I know that Strider and Dakini can do a nice, slow 50 there and, barring issues, finish.

While I would very much like to keep on doing back to back 50/25s with Strider, funds are an issue.  And, while I had a great time competing in the One Horse: One Rider division of the Green Bean Competition last year, in the new division I will be placed in, I will not be competitive.  BUT, I will still be participating, just to show solidarity.  Or perhaps this year I'll join a team so that I can compete both horses if I so desire. 

ANYWAY!!

April 20/21.

Strider and Dakini will again be doing 50's on the 20th.  Barefoot friendly trails, and I'm hoping the weather holds so I can actually enjoy the LBJ Grasslands for this ride.

On the 21st, Dakini (most likely) will stay at base camp while Strider and I do a 25 to accompany a friend who is going to attempt one of her horse's first LDs. 

May 13.

Strider and I (I hope) will be attempting Last Hoorah! again.  The ride was gorgeous, but I will be going better prepared between Hoof Armor and Scoot Boots!  Or, if Dakini needs another 50, she will have her chance.  I can always find someone to catch ride for me to finish her qualifications.

From May until, probably, October, Strider and Dakini will have the summer off with light riding here and there.  Keeping them both fit and trim and ready to go.

There IS a ride in September, but it's so hot, I will probably skip it.  Again, also a means of saving funds for the Nationals Ride.

October ?/?.

National Endurance Ride.  I will need to have hoof boots prepared and ready for both horses and back up boots ready to go.  Extra Hoof Armor ordered and prepared to use as well.  I ordered new 1200 Denier waterproof blankets and both horses have rump rugs already as well.  So, we're outfitted there.  I don't know what the weather is like in Idaho in October, but I need to start researching it.

Currently, this is my 2017 goal.

My long-term goal?

As I've said, Decade Team with Strider.  If I could make Decade Team with Dakini, that would be magnificent as well.  But, most of my heart and energy goes to my spunky little black Paso who has carried me dutifully and with pluck and aplomb these past 125 LD miles (not his fault we went OT on 1 ride, and he hit a dang rock in the last 10 miles at another ride!!!) and 100 endurance miles (well, 150 endurance miles, if his dippy rider didn't get us lost!).

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...