Friday, December 23, 2016

Thinking of Convention....

So, the AERC National Convention will be held here in Texas this year.

When I first heard that, I told Joe "I'll be going."  Had been waiting and waiting for AERC to mention hotel blocks (though, I could always bunk with my friend B and drive in for convention days). 

But, while the seminars sound interesting, and the shopping will be amazing, I'm not sure I'll be going.

I know that I SHOULD go. 

But then I think, "Self, you are already doing Endurance on a shoe-string.  Is paying for a convention the way to go?  You could save the money and the time off work for an actual ENDURANCE ride."

It's Friday, March 10th and Saturday March 11. 

Truthfully, I should be riding that weekend.  It will be the last weekend before a simple leg-stretcher the next weekend prior to taking the two ponies to Shanghai Trails for Dakini's first 50 attempt and another 50 for Strider.

I think I've managed to talk myself out of the Convention.

I want to go.  To surround myself with endurance people.  To immerse myself with them and soak up the wealth of knowledge (Dr. Garlinghouse's two seminars [one on the Membership Survey and the one about Simple Carbs] sound amazing!).

But, it's just money best not spent.

And the shopping part would probably just really get me bummed as I can't really afford all of the things I badly want.  And you will note that I said "badly want", not "badly need".  Truth be told, I have a saddle, a working headstall.  And the horse.  Outside of that I'm currently happy with the grain he is getting, and my electrolyte program seems to be doing well too.  So what do I truly NEED from the convention except a bunch of "sads" that I cannot afford whatever shiny, new thing that I see?

The only "needs" I have right now are (in order of importance):
Equisleeves; for the 2 day rides where I cannot poultice
Scoot Boots for all 4 feet for all 3 horses; I currently have 1 set that is too large for Strider, but will swap them for smaller ones once his heels are lowered
Warm blankets for all 3 horses

The Equisleeves are inexpensive ($40/pair), so after Christmas I'll probably get myself a pair.  The Scoot Boots are a little bit more pricey to do ($170/pair, and I currently MUST HAVE 3 more pairs, though ultimately, I will end up NEEDING 5 more pairs).  And the blankets I can probably get done for somewhere between $150-$200 for all 3 horses. 

So, I shall take the money I had mentally earmarked for convention and put it towards one of those other major purchases.

And in a few years, I will hope the convention will return to Texas and I'll attend then.

Granted, that weekend I'll be bummed seeing all of the photos being posted...but...I'll get over it.  :)

As I'm riding my horses. 

Have you ever had to make the choice between two things?  And then come to terms that you will perhaps regret NOT doing something, but KNOWING you've made the right choice?

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...