Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Hurtling Towards 2017

Yesterday's mail was full of fun and varied stuff.

Well, minus the usual post-holiday bills, etc.  Yuck!!

But, between my Secret Santa gift from one group (a GORGEOUS pair of Kate Spade owl earrings!), and some movies I'd ordered (the entire Harry Potter movies on BluRay), I got this AWESOME package from the North American Green Bean Endurance group!!!

It's my gift certificate that Strider won for me to put towards either my 2017 AERC membership (already paid, so...nope!) or towards one of the really cool AERC jackets (YEP!!!).

I also got this super fun medal with the Green Bean Endurance emblem on it, and a cool thing showing how many miles we went and how many points we earned this season.

As I've mentioned, we did the 1 Horse:1 Rider (or as it was known last season, Individual as compared to the Team competition).  So, while we didn't slam dunk a BUNCH of miles last season on the books, we still managed to do it!

Now that I'm on a team ("May the Horse be With You"...particularly poignant now [RIP Carrie Fisher]), I'm looking forward to this year's competition!!  I can freely jump back and forth between any of my 3 horses if I need to.  I can catch-ride if needs be.  I don't have to fret over lameness taking me out of the competition.  I can keep riding.

As of today there are a little over 3 weeks left until out next endurance ride.  I know I've mentioned it before, but I'm a little anxious as it will be our attempt towards year 2 of our Decade Team goal.

Now, I also won't lie, I'm fortunate to live where I live and to ride where I ride.  The rides I opt to currently do (100% due to no reliable boots just yet!!) are fairly flat and the rides usually go fast.  This does indeed give my horses an optimal chance to finish.  There are always some hills in the rides we do, but nothing so dramatic that I think they're why we've ever gone OT.  OT's are always my fault and I can always ALWAYS tell you exactly why we've gone OT.

So, I know that Strider will be able to get through this upcoming 50 unless something FREAKISH happens to him and I.  I'm hoping to get to ride with my friend.  If not, I'll go out mid-pack and just knock it out alone.  Or at least try to keep some horses in sight.  The level and depths of "I -hate- being alone" that rolled off him when we were trailing EVERYONE at Last Hoorah still clings to me.  Yes, he kept moving, and yes, he gave to me when I asked it of him, but his entire energy was this gigantic "sink" that spiraled downward.  I felt for him.  And ultimately tossed that ride for his welfare.  I still got to ride a gorgeous ride, but my failure is clinging to me still for all the things that went wrong.  It is why I cannot wait to go back to the Six O and try this ride again, only better prepared. 

And with all of this in mind, I shall do my best to be at the barn as much as possible this weekend, and begin my planned riding starting in January.  I've written the days on my calendar (in erasable ink due to Joe's work schedule and softball) so that I can make myself commit to getting out there Mondays/Wednesdays and either Saturdays or Sundays.

That's the plan.  Now, to roll with it.  And be pliant with it as well.

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...