Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Pre-Christmas Ride...

Once again, you may not get what you want, but you will indeed get what you need.

My Friday plans did indeed go forward, but they weren't exactly as I had mentally laid out for myself.

The plan?
Get to the trail head early, ride Strider, then take Dakini out.

The reality?
Get to the trail head around 10ish, groom Strider while Dakini chills out in a pen, then go out and ride with H on Dakini, leaving Strider in the pen.

On the plus side, Dakini didn't seem to care he was left behind.  She went immediately into gait though (not so happy about that, wanted a slower warm up) and held it for a good, long time, pending quality footing.

The day dawned gloomy and threatened to drizzle off and on for most of the morning.  I was outfitted in pantyhose (for warmth), my running tights (my riding pants), my awesome half-chaps, long sleeve shirt and a fleecy shirt over that.  And I was comfortable all day long!!

It seemed as though the world ended there at the lake.  And it was quiet and peaceful and what my heart and spirit needed.
H and I did get sprinkled on for the first 4 or 5 minute of our ride, and after that, it was just gloomy and overcast all day.  PERFECT riding weather!! 

Dakini got a little tired, but she's a plucky little thing, and the stark contrast between her and Strider is evident.  With her, I need never worry that a puddle of water will end in my being soaked.  If she steps into water, it's because she's thirsty or is crossing through it.  If I ask for a canter, she'll give it (or her current semblance of a canter).  She doesn't bunny buck.  She doesn't take off the second my butt is in the saddle upon mounting.  She's just a sweet-tempered, laid-back chill pony who tries her hardest.

Dakini HUNGRY!! And slowly stealing my hardened husk of a heart.
Not that Strider doesn't try, but his sense of humor always takes precedent over anything else.  Rather like his owner.  Goober horse.

We weren't really riding for speed.  I just badly needed to be in the saddle.  A hair over 8 miles in 2 hours, so, in so far as a conditioning ride, it would be rated as a bust.  In so far as a mental health ride, it was a raging success. 

The fact is, I think nowdays, if I'm just out to ride for pleasure or fun, I know who I'm grabbing; Dakini.  I think in the upcoming months/years she is going to turn in to my steady eddy horse who I can put guests and friends on because she's that sensible and sane.  She is hyper vigilant regarding how the other horse is acting; if they're in a tizzy, she's in a tizzy.  But, if they're acting like it's no big deal, then she does too. 

Dakini and Blondie (H's MFT mare)
H is now also currently loaning me a CTK saddle to try out on both horses.  I am hoping beyond hope that it will fit either one or both of my Pasos.  It is so very lightweight as compared to the Imus.  Small.  And I like the panels (leather padded instead of fleece lined).  And H said she pretty much bought it for me, so if it will work, I'll be buying it from her for the kids.  Fingers crossed it will work, though it may take a fitter to adjust the padding/flocking to work.  Seemed a little tight on Strider and seemed to perch on Dakini.  But, I'll have my farrier check it and the Imus on both horses and make sure I'm still doing right by them.

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...