Thursday, December 15, 2016

If It Isn't Fun, I Shouldn't Be Doing It....

Just a mild digression from my regularly scheduled postings.  Probably because...best laid plans almost invariably get way-laid by something-or-other.

The PLAN was to go ride for a few hours on Sunday before Joe goes to work his reserve police officer gig. 

The new REALITY will be that I won't get out to the barn at ALL on Sunday because I'm planning a surprise Christmas gift for Joe and my family of formal pictures of Kaylee.  Sadly, the only appointment available was in the middle of the day, about an hour from the house, so, guess who doesn't get to ride on Sunday? 

This girl.

Perhaps it's for the best.  Rumors of an arctic blast don't exactly make me want to go leaping into the saddle if you want my honest truth.

But, it does make me a little anxious about my 50 attempt on the 21st of January.  I know it's doable.  My pony has heart.  Just...still.  I'm anxious!

Anyway, my digression is that, the holidays always seem to bring about this extra stress and pressure.  And I do it to myself. 

My current holiday goals?

To DIY a few gifts, both for co-workers AND for family.

My more ambitious project currently?

40 cards to go to Coast Guard boot camp recruits.

The ORIGINAL goal was just a few cards to each company, with a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT hand-written note in each of them.

My modified goal; 40 cards, 10 for each company and each of those 10 cards will have different hand-written notes.  Basically, the same card design for each of the 4 companies will have the same note in them. 

I know.  Stupid.  And I do wacky stuff like this to myself EVERY.SINGLE.YEAR.

Last year it was DIY projects for like 7 or 8 people involving multiple Mason Jars.  Not doing that again this year.  Just for 4 people. 

How this segues into my horses?  I am the same way.  I start out with grandiose plans.  Things I want to do!  Oh the wonderful things I COULD do, if I just did X, Y and Z.

And then reality sets in.

Let me assure you; I do endurance on a shoestring budget.  I splurge on quality grain (my main endurance horse gets Nutrena Fuel, 1 scoop 2x a day, my Paso mare and Arabian gelding are still round living off of hay unless in ride camp).  When at ride camp, I splurge on BEAUTIFUL coastal hay from a local feed store (if you're in the Austin area, I HIGHLY recommend Callahan's for coastal.  It's so luscious and green someone once thought it was ALFALFA that's how gorgeous it is!). 

Beyond that?

Shoestring.

My old, beat up steel trailer that I paid $1500 for about 3 or 4 years ago that a friend helped me re-do the floor in the horse compartment, then her husband did some repairs and welds on the roof.  From the goodness of their heart, it cost me nothing in their time, just the cost of lumber for the trailer.

My husband finally upgraded our truck from a Ford 1/2 ton that I used to pull my 3500 lb trailer to a 2008 Ford 3/4 ton diesel.  So I guess that's a splurge.  I consider it a safety issue.

A 35 gallon water tank from Tractor Supply.  REQUIREMENT.  One of the best things I've ever bought.

40 or 50 step-in posts, a fence charger (the Powerfields D-Cell Portable Trail Fence Charger is a great buy and it WORKS!!!) and fencing.  I hate to think of the money I wasted on figuring out containment.  From PVC collapsible fences (I loved them.  Strider broke them.  My initial plan was to run safety fencing to them to prevent him from putting a hoof through, but I never got around to it) to just the step-ins and safety/construction fencing.  Save yourself the anguish.  Get an electric fence.  Or a HiTie/SpringTie.  Both is preferable.

I -just- bought 2 waterproof blankets of 1200 denier on sale.  Before that, it was inexpensive blankets with a shower curtain beneath to keep the water off.

The saddle I ride in?  A long-term loan.  An Imus 4Beat that fits my horse.  I HAD bought a brand new Abetta Endurance Stealth saddle.  Had a saddle fitter come out even.  Fit my horse THEN.  And then, it didn't.  So my friend with the Imus brought me out LITERALLY 8 or 9 saddles for my farrier (who is also my go-to horse person) to try on him.  Imus fit the best.  I've been using it ever since.  And the white hairs where my Abetta (or the piece of junk saddle that KINDA worked for LDs) rubbed are fading.  A lot.  SIDE NOTE: Endurance really DOES show you the weakness of your tack set up.  What DOES work for pleasure trail rides doesn't necessarily mean it WILL work for longer and longer distances.  This Imus might not work for us if we ever go 100's. 

The saddle pad I use?  Another long-term loan.  A Toklat woolback which I love.  I spoke with Riders Warehouse about various saddle pads, being completely willing to buy the Toklat Matrix or any other pad that was higher dollar.  After listening to me, the sales rep said the woolback was perfect for me.  And it was one of the least expensive options.  Suffice to say, I like Riders Warehouse and happily give them my business.  When it comes to these sorts of things, I simply will not cut corners any longer.  I've done the "What's the cheapest piece of tack I can buy to 'get me through'?"  And I invariably regret it.  Splurge on the QUALITY saddle and saddle pad.  Trust me on this.  My Abetta is quality, but...it just doesn't fit any longer. 

My halter/bridle with S-Hack and my breastcollar?  The same person who helped repair my trailer, is long-term loaning me the pad and saddle MADE them for me.  ALL of it.  And it looks gorgeous.  I get more complements on them from people.

And, the Scoot Boots which I am HOPING to get to use some day; a birthday gift from 3 of my dearest horse friends.

Man, I digress all over the place.

But the reality is I grab lessons when and where I can.  But I have to learn to roll with what life throws my way and to STOP stressing so much about it.  Lay out my calendar and my schedule, but understand that sometimes life happens.  Make riding a priority, but never EVER forget that it's fun first and foremost.  Sometimes I forget that I'm supposed to be having fun when I'm conditioning.  Don't misunderstand, when I'm done, I have nothing but gratitude, but sometimes I get bored when I ride.  So do my horses.  Same trails at the barn over and over again as we try to make the magical numbers I'm shooting for in my head.  But I NEED to remember to make it fun, for my horse(s) AND myself.  Sometimes we stop and school if they do something squirrely.  But in general, it seems like my focus is on making a 6-7mph time.  I'm not gunning for fast.  But I'm gunning for "Completion speed conditioning". 

And, just like with my holiday ambitions, sometimes I lose sight of the bigger picture.

It's not about the "things"; it's about the real reason behind it all.  Joy and fun.  And if I'm not enjoying it and I'm not having fun, I'm doing it wrong.

Now, off to go do these last 5 cards and see if I can't make it more fun for myself instead of it feeling like a "task to be done".

Have you ever had a time where  horses have felt more like a "chore" and less like a joy?  What are some things you've done to shake it up so you stopped feeling that way?  Or did you just accept that sometimes, horse ownership is a slog.  But eventually it DOES get better.

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...