Thursday, December 22, 2016

Physically "In"..Mentally? Not So Much....

Today is the last day at my regular job until next Tuesday.

I'm already mentally checked out and plotting my rides.  I realized as I was backing out of the driveway this morning I need to get the bale of coastal and the bale of alfalfa out of my (currently broken down) car and transfer to the bed of the truck to take with me tomorrow so I can stash them in my trailer.

The thing is, the smell is heavenly in my car.  I open the door, and instantly I am transported to the barn.  That hay smells so divine and it never fails to make me smile.

But, I'm past ready to get out to the Lake for a ride.

Rumor has it that it will rain on Friday.  Annoying, but...as long as it isn't torrential, I'll gut it out.  I have dry clothes in the trailer.  I'll toss in some dry pants and socks, and I'll be good to ride!!!

I have to work Friday evening, so I'll be out at the lake around 8ish (that whole "I can get up early to go riding without a problem!" thing).  I'll point and shoot Strider around for an hour or two, be back to the trailer at 11 to meet up with my girls, then take Dakini out.

And, while I don't hold much stock in the weather websites anymore...currently Weather.com is showing that the highest chance of rain while we'd be out riding is at 11am...when we're all meeting at the trail head.  From then out, the chances drop into the 20% and 30% range.  I'm good with that.  And temps in the mid 50's to lower 60's.  Whatever, I'll be out riding.  This gives me a great opportunity to try out my rain outfit!! 

I purchased some Frogg Toggs last month to carry in my saddle pack, so, we'll see how much water they really keep out!  I'm excited to try them!  And, now that I have have genuine waterproof blankets for the horses, I can keep them (mostly) dry when we're not riding. 

OH!  And I'll get to try out my new rump rugs!!  How thrilling!!

When it comes to riding, I refuse to feel discouraged before I even step into the stirrup.  I will always look to find the silver lining in the situation before me.  And in this situation, it will be a chance to try out my rain gear without having to try it out DURING a ride!!  And it will let me fiddle with my rump rugs. 

I also got the fantastic news that my friend, B, will be able to pilot Dakini on an LD at River Run on Saturday.  I have another friend (I shall call her EB) who is going to try her first LD on her appaloosa gelding that day as well, so I shall send them out together at the back of the pack while I go crank out my 50 with Strider.  So, it shall be quite an exciting day for all of us!  I'm very much looking forward to that weekend. 

I have 5 weeks to get out and ride.  I won't be adding to either of their fitness bases (or not much, anyway), but, I'll have them both ready to get out there and do their jobs.  And from then until the end of March, I have plenty of time to get them both chugging along into 50 mile shape for the end of March at Shanghai Trails.

I'm fixing to sit down with my calendar and write in riding/training days. 

Currently I'll be out riding on the 23rd, 26th, 31st, Jan. 1st and 2nd.  Then maybe I can sneak out 1 or 2 nights a week and squash in a 1 day a weekend ride too.  I currently am planning on Mondays and Wednesdays as my weeknight rides.  Now, this may, and probably will, change once Softball season starts up.  While I was hoping to join Joe and umpire games this season, it doesn't look like I'll be able to due to a mandatory softball training falling on January 21st.  And, as I've told Joe, Endurance is more important to me than softball.  Yes, softball MAKES money, and Endurance COSTS me money, but, I've been signed up for this ride for MONTHS.  Just, too many reasons for me to make the ride and skip softball this year.  I can do softball next year if it works out.

And, shockingly enough, he didn't quibble with me about it.  He understands that the opportunity to represent the breed at a national ride is kind of a big deal, and he is completely supportive of it.

So, if Joe ends up with softball games scheduled on Mondays and Wednesdays, then I'll just shift my evenings to ride to a night when he doesn't.  Fluidity is the name of the game when it comes to life.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow.  I have needed to ride for weeks now, but simply haven't had the time.  And I'm sure I'm going to have a firecracker tomorrow morning when I step on Strider.  But that's okay with me too.  I can deal with the tantrums.  I can deal with him being a brat.  We just ride through it and get to moving our butts.

And I'm looking forward to it for Dakini too.  To show her that being left behind at ride camp isn't as bad as she fears.  She'll get a flake of hay and a bucket of water to drink while I'm gone for an hour or two.  I'll circle Strider around once or twice so she AND he can get used to seeing one another and then parting ways again. 
It's all part of the sport kids.  You'll get used to it!!

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...