Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Reaffirming Goals

With the last post rooted still firmly in my brain, today sees me at least banging out another post.

Despite the fact that life has me so wound up I can't even get out to SEE said horses.  At least not until Sunday.  When, I hope, the Arctic blast doesn't ground my plans.  I have GOT to trim Strider's feet.  I only did it once last trim cycle, and Holly could tell as his heels had regressed.  Damn.  Set back my booting plan a full trim cycle, and it's looking like we're fixing to set them back a second trim cycle as well.  *sigh*

Anyway, with my goals and plans in mind for the 2017 ride season, and having won the Green Bean Endurance competition of 1 Horse: 1 Rider On The Vine (less than 500 total miles) in 2016, and having honestly assessed the competition in the next division and knowing I can't ride as many miles on just 1 horse as some of the others, I have decided, since I would like to campaign 2 horses, that I shall look into making it a team effort this season.

The problem is I'm competitive.  Against myself.  The trail.  Not so much with other horses because I know I cannot put in the work that others can with 3 or 4 days a week of riding, although I get a thrill out of the PFHA breed competition.  Seeing my horse's name in the magazine is a joy.  Granted, a mixed joy as I have to stare at my ex's name...but still a joy to see he and I out doing it!

I know that I won't exactly be adding lots of miles to a team (if everything goes 100% perfectly, I'm looking at contributing about 325 miles on Strider.  Up in the air on how many miles I can contribute with Dakini.  So, not exactly a massive amount.  A few 50/25 weekends (I have 3 planned currently, and that's about all I want to ask of him).  I'd sure like to return to Racing Stripes in April...except that's a long drive.  And just about 2 weeks after is the ride at the Grasslands which is more critical to me.  So, this year I think I'm a miss. 

Rest (and my finances!) is just as important as competition. 

And long-term goals matter more. 

In my mind, I keep thinking give me 2 more years before we attempt our first 100.  Which will probably be at Armadillo Run.  This is purely arbitrary, and it may take more time.  But I'd like to try a 75 first.  Except here in Texas, there don't seem to be many of them.  And I'm loathe to try driving out of state just to attempt a 75.

This year is about setting Strider and Dakini up for success as much as possible.  There's a few rides I would LOVE to try, but I'm not yet done getting them both to where they need to be for boots, so those rides are currently out.  Granted, it's only 1 or 2 of them, but still.  Out.  At least for this year. 

So, on the current "To Do" list:

Trim Strider's feet so we can get that heel down.
I must do this in order to get him a pair of properly fitted Scoot Boots, which I feel are going to be our best bet for booting.  Between Scoot Boots and Hoof Armor, I think I will have him ready and good to go.  I need to go ahead and measure and photograph Dakini's feet and send them off to the Scoot Boot dealer so I can get her sized and/or see if she needs work.  I cannot wait until the last minute to get her boot ready. 

Start diligently ponying Dakini off Strider or Strider off Dakini.
I feel that my heavier weight does condition her better for my MW rider friends.  I cannot imagine what a powerhouse Strider would be with a lighter rider.

This will give them both a break of carrying me, yet still give them the benefit of the miles logged beneath their feet.  I know that we're all bored of the trails at our boarding facility, but, time is of the essence.  I suspect we shall spend time in the arena doing laps at some point just to make miles.  But, we can do this.  I need to recommit and be diligent with my calendars

Continue working on my weight. 
I'm content with the 1lb/week (every other week) loss.  I haven't had to change my eating habits that much, so once this holiday stress eating I'm doing is eliminated, I will perhaps be able to do even better.  Just altering my eating habits helps immensely!  I grab an apple now instead of a "Fun Size" candy bar.  Go for more protein.  And don't beat myself up when I have a "bad day". 

Those are just some of the larger goals.  What about you?  What are your equine goals for 2017?

No comments:

Emails to the PFHA Executive Committee

 I wanted to log my correspondence with the PFHA executive committee because I believe clarity is important, and because I feel that my bree...